Austin Lucas and The Dreaming Spires, Broadcast, 18 October, 2016
Austin Lucas and The Dreaming Spires
Tuesday 18 October, 2016 7 p.m.
A double bill of Americana featuring Austin Lucas from Bloomington Indianna USA, and Oxford’s ‘The Dreaming Spires’
No one ever said country music had to be simple, and when Austin Lucas began thinking about the follow-up to his critically acclaimed 2013 album Stay Reckless he had a lot on his mind. The Indiana troubadour wanted to do something not only different from his own work, but unlike anything else being done in the realm of country music and Americana. The acclaimed new album ‘Between The Moon And The Midwest’ marries traditional & cosmic country sounds with sharp, vivid storytelling in a fully realized album concept.
“Between The Moon & The Midwest may slot in what looks to outsiders like a narrow gap between Sturgill Simpson’s cosmic choogle and the harder rock of Jason Isbell, but in country terms that’s a canyon -and it belongs to Austin Lucas” Q Magazine.
“With a voice that falls between God-given and refined by years of training, it bleeds tradition and adds gravitas to his words”. – Popmatters
Special Guests on all dates are The Dreaming Spires from Oxford, who will also play as Austin’s backing band.
It has been a busy time for Oxford’s finest The Dreaming Spires, who have been on the road touring hard including a trip to the USA to play the Americana Awards in Nashville and an appearance on BBC’s The Andrew Marr Show. They’ve also just released the mini-LP Paisley Overground, a knowing nod towards their musical influences, but also a step forward into a new-fangled jangle! Three of The Dreaming Spires songs were recorded at the legendary Ardent Studios in Memphis, home of the equally-legendary Big Star!
427 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3LG
- Moogety Halloween 2019
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Mòd 2019 Gaelic Film Screenings: A taste of BBC Alba – Na Millenni-Gaels CCA
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- The Irishman GFT
- Lost Lives plus Q & A
- Malcolm X 35 mm GFT
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Preview: Pink Wall with Q & A
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Glasgow Wood Recycling, October Sale