Art of Power: Masterpieces from the Bute Collection, Hunterian Art Gallery and Mount Stewart, Isle of Bute 31 March 2017 – 14 January 2018
31 March 2017 – 14 January 2018
Hunterian Art Gallery and Mount Stuart, Isle of Bute
Admission charge – entry to exhibition at both The Hunterian and Mount Stuart included in ticket price
This new exhibition offers a unique opportunity to see major paintings from the Bute Collection at Mount Stuart on the Isle of Bute. Merging art, biography and cultural history, Art of Power uncovers the fascinating Enlightenment figure, John Stuart, Third Earl of Bute, and his collection of rarely-seen masterpieces.
The exhibition is split across two venues, The Hunterian and Mount Stuart, and the ticket price covers admission to the exhibition at both.
Art of Power: Masterpieces from the Bute Collection marks the tercentenary of Mount Stuart, an architectural jewel on the Isle of Bute which houses the Bute Collection, one of the foremost private collections of artworks and artefacts in the UK.
The Bute Collection was largely formed in the eighteenth century by John Stuart, Third Earl of Bute, the first Scottish-born Prime Minister and ‘favourite’ of George III. The Third Earl of Bute is a compelling figure with a colourful, and at times, scandalous political career, however, he was also an important and influential patron of the arts.
This major exhibition brings a selection of European and British masterpieces from the Bute Collection to the Hunterian Art Gallery, many of which have not been on public display in over a century.
Highlights include works by Jan Steen, Jan Brueghel I, Jacob van Ruisdael, Anthony van Dyck, Joshua Reynolds, Allan Ramsay, Claude Lorrain and Veronese.
A portion of these works will be displayed at The Hunterian and the remaining at Mount Stuart. Here, paintings will be accompanied by other items such as historical artefacts including costume, jewellery and letters, and works on paper including botanical illustrations and satirical engravings.
University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Mount Stewart House, Isle of Bute PA20 9LR
- Addicted The Musical Websters Theatre Glasgow
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Sikorski Polish Club, Glasgow Doors Open Day 2019
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA