A Letter to Nan – women-only creative writing workshop
Glasgow Feminist Arts Festival
A Letter to Nan
Based on the home movies of local filmmaker Nan Taggart. Led by Dr Emily Munro from the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive.
Friday 16 November 2018
10am, Free but ticketed, Clubroom / 15+
Book online / 0141 352 4900
A women-only creative writing workshop
Home movies are a rich source of material for social historians but in more recent times they have been interpreted and reused in creative ways. In this creative writing workshop, led by Emily Munro from the National Library of Scotland, you will have the opportunity to look closely at some home movies preserved in Scotland’s moving image archive. The workshop will provide space to experiment with writing characters inspired by the films and, ultimately, to write a letter addressed to the filmmaker (Nan Taggart), the people in her life, or the archivist. In the context of the archive, private records become public his/her stories. What happens when we weave our own stories together with those of people we have never met?
Dr Emily Munro is a learning officer in the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive. She has an MLitt (Distinction) in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow.
The workshop is for women-identifying people only.
The workshop will involve sitting at desks and writing in response to audiovisual materials. A hearing induction loop is available in the room, which is wheelchair accessible.
Writing materials will be provided. Participants can bring laptops/electronic devices to write if they prefer (please note there will not be charging facilities).
Colouring materials (e.g. crayons) will be available for children attending with caregivers. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to say if you’ll be attending with children.
GFAF is a non-profit event and 10% of all ticket sales will be donated to Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis. To find out more about the service or to make an additional donation, please click the following link
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Classes and Workshops
Filed under: Classes and Workshops
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Clydeside Creative Cafe – Out and About in Clydebank
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Joy Dunlop – Gaelic Live Online Concert and Ceilidh
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Composting and food waste reduction workshop
- Aye Write 2021 – Kicking Off This Weekend
- Aye Write 2021 Creative Writing
- Beginners Bird I.D.
- Wellbeing for Artists Working in Older People’s Care
- Celebrate Your Story – Workshop with Samina Chaudry
- Writing for Wellbeing Workshops
- Poetry and Creative Writing Classes (Spring 2021) with Linda Jackson
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- James McAvoy Edinburgh Youth Theatre – Masterclass
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop
- Govanhill International Festival 2020