SQIFF: I Do? – Homotopia CCA Tuesday 15 December, 2015
I Do?: Homotopia
Tue 15 December 2015
7pm, £4 (£3 concessions) + £1 booking fee, Free to people who are unemployed or seeking asylum,
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Yoshi falls in lust with someone he met in a park bathroom while reading Frantz Fanon’s Black Skin, White Masks. Sadly, his new love interest is about to get gay married. So, Yoshi and his band of radical queers decide this wedding need not take place… Homotopia is a queer critique of the politics of ‘gay marriage’ and assimilation. Using a gritty, feminist shoot-and-run style, the film is heavily influenced by earlier political films Born in Flames and The Battle of Algiers and addresses issues of racism, colonialism, AIDS, and the role of the state.
Screening with a selection of other shorts and with a discussion on the problems associated with marriage and queerness hosted by AB Silvera.
AB Silvera is a writer, performer and activist. Originally from Argentina, she spent over a decade in Ireland involved in feminist activism with a focus on LGBTQ women’s issues. The former editor of BoLT Magazine, Ireland’s only magazine for LGBTQ women, she now hosts 30km/s on Subcity Radio, a show that looks at the issues of the day from a sardonic, radical perspective.
The films will screen with English subtitles to make them more accessible for people who are deaf or hard or hearing. There will be BSL interpretation for the introduction and discussion.
Part of BFI LOVE, in partnership with Plusnet
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020