Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Partick Tavern

A bit of news on the pub front in Glasgow West End from Roy Beers:

Partick pub reborn

colin_b-1955.jpgA couple of weeks ago I heard a strong rumour that the Partick Tavern in Dumbarton Road had changed ownership and was set for some sort of rebranding and relaunch – and since then about half a dozen people have supplied me with more or less accurate information.

I’m delighted to say it marks nothing less than a major extension to the array of quality bars in Partick, and is being led by Colin Beattie – the man behind nearby pub The Lismore, Oran Mor (of course) and too many other successful ventures to list in detail.

The Tavern was, beyond doubt, well past its sell-by date, and was crying out for major change. Now that it is in safe hands the pub is saved – but relaunched on a wholly sound footing – and we have something genuinely exciting to look forward to.

Paint is currently being slapped on the exterior of what will be the Partick Brewing Company, and (so I’m told) staff meetings have already been staged with the owner himself.

It would be hard to think of anyone in the trade who knows Partick better than Colin Beattie, or who has a better reputation for turning dud outlets into sparkling success stories, so this has to be great news for the many people who love the sometimes unfairly disparaged area around Partick Cross and all of its excellent outlets.

Is Partick the new Byres Road, indeed the new West End? Perhaps somebody on one of the surviving Glasgow local newspapers can fill some threadbare column inches with a jaunty discussion on that theme (after all – it has a Japanese restaurant!).

The new venture will cater for discerning locals and students (with many more students due to move into the area in the near future), and also to people who already enjoy visiting the other high quality outlets in the area.

As the name implies there will be a strong emphasis on beer, and nice beer at that (going under that strange American-imported term “craft beer” – which means who knows what) and I’ve no doubt the food offer will be great as well.

Partick has been changing slowly over recent years, and at times the strength of its traditional character has seemed under threat from giant supermarket plans, bus lanes, and other crass people-hating, community-busting insanities.

At a time when the licensed trade generally often comes under fire from ignorant people who do not take the time to distinguish the good from the bad it’s maybe worth reflecting that some of the best developments have involved either bars or restaurants, cafes, etc – that is, places where people can relax and enjoy comfortable surroundings and pleasant company.

This one is likely to be a real milestone, however, and while I would never have visited the bar in its former incarnation I aim to be one of the first customers in the new venture.

- See more at: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/eating/eatingdrinking.php#sthash.nuI8gG1S.dpuf

I'm not in too many pubs but Colin Beattie definitely knows what he's doing and it's great to see places having a new life – especially at a time when they could well be closing down.

There's been talk about Partick and its gentrification for a long time now but I think it has its own vibe.

I'm not sure what any one means re "gentrification of Partick" but I look forward to the upgrading of the Partick Tavern. My family have enjoyed a few nightsb there

Still a few improvements required. When does the G20 security contract run out? When a band is on it's normal to switch the bar's music system off. Whilst Felonious apparently was impressed by the band I wonder if putting a power blues band on was sending a message that the regulars were not in Kansas any more.

Still a few improvements required. When does the G20 security contract run out? When a band is on it's normal to switch the bar's music system off. Whilst Felonious apparently was impressed by the band I wonder if putting a power blues band on was sending a message that the regulars were not in Kansas any more.

That's great that there's another venue for live music - of different genres. :lol:

Expect there will be some teething problems.

It looks nicer now (on the inside at least, what is with that garish paint job on the outside?!!) but it still reeks of damp mould :(

Maybe need a new carpet. Old pubs tend to all smell the same with the spilled beer but at least no fag fumes these days.

Popped my head in yesterday. Doesn't appear to be attracting the locals in for a friendly afternoon pint. Unlike the Lismore across the road. It's very spacious inside and decent wee stage area so could take a decent crowd in for some live entertainment. No doubt it will be a different place at week-ends. I'm not too keen on the garish paint job outside.