Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Mediums and Spiritualists

I have long held the view that this is quackery, however, I was listening yesterday to a radio programme regarding spiritualism and mediums. What was interesting was to hear a University Professor who, as part of a team, had undertaken a 5 year analysis and testing of numerous spiritualists; testing had been done in controlled environments.

The University team found that there were of course Charlatans but surprisingly also found a core group of people who repeatedly returned extraordinary results and statistically returned results that concluded that they did indeed have some form of gift.

My wife is into mediums and spiritualists and regularly visits one to have £25 relieved from her purse. I must admit I have no sight of the converstaion beween them so am not convinced it simply isn't clever techniques (a la Darren Brown). The missus recounts her feedback and there seems to be a structure to the session. The medium, firstly 'proves her credentials' by offering commentary on your existing life - in my wife's instance it was a few things about family and work, one good hit was the statement that she had a boss who was black. Actually was correct. The medium then moves into 'vision' session where she predicts the future which to be fair has been quite detailed and has had about 60% happen.

Anyone any experience of them?

No experience Sam, no, and like yourself, believe it to be quackery. Does your wife visit the same person over and over? Or a different person each time?

No experience Sam, no, and like yourself, believe it to be quackery. Does your wife visit the same person over and over? Or a different person each time?

She goes to the same person until she feels its time to move on. I once howled with laughter when her medium had to cancel a meeting at short notice due to her daughter announcing she was pregnant :lol:

She goes to the same person until she feels its time to move on. I once howled with laughter when her medium had to cancel a meeting at short notice due to her daughter announcing she was pregnant :lol:

Nice one! :lol: I think if she's going to see the same person time and time again, they'll build up a stock of information about her, without her even realising she's giving half of it away. Even Derren Brown has admitted it's all body language and whatnot.

I have long held the view that this is quackery, however, I was listening yesterday to a radio programme regarding spiritualism and mediums. What was interesting was to hear a University Professor who, as part of a team, had undertaken a 5 year analysis and testing of numerous spiritualists; testing had been done in controlled environments.

The University team found that there were of course Charlatans but surprisingly also found a core group of people who repeatedly returned extraordinary results and statistically returned results that concluded that they did indeed have some form of gift.

My wife is into mediums and spiritualists and regularly visits one to have £25 relieved from her purse. I must admit I have no sight of the converstaion beween them so am not convinced it simply isn't clever techniques (a la Darren Brown). The missus recounts her feedback and there seems to be a structure to the session. The medium, firstly 'proves her credentials' by offering commentary on your existing life - in my wife's instance it was a few things about family and work, one good hit was the statement that she had a boss who was black. Actually was correct. The medium then moves into 'vision' session where she predicts the future which to be fair has been quite detailed and has had about 60% happen.

Anyone any experience of them?

That's one way to deal with your exitential anxiety...:lol:

Every one is a chancer. They are skilled in reading people and cajoling information out of them like most other con artists. They carry out research, to back up their claims so if he /she had already noted where she worked it would have been noted for future use. One to ones are easy when the one you're speaking to is ready to believe.

On the other hand if your wife is just paying £25 as she claims she could be spending it at the bookies, at the pictures or on alcohol. Her choice. And if you yourself believe in the concept of life after death and that waht you do before you die has an effect on what happens to you after death who are you to scorn.

Every one is a chancer. They are skilled in reading people and cajoling information out of them like most other con artists. They carry out research, to back up their claims so if he /she had already noted where she worked it would have been noted for future use. One to ones are easy when the one you're speaking to is ready to believe.

On the other hand if your wife is just paying £25 as she claims she could be spending it at the bookies, at the pictures or on alcohol. Her choice. And if you yourself believe in the concept of life after death and that waht you do before you die has an effect on what happens to you after death who are you to scorn.

Not intending to scorn Dex. I know several people who are members of the Spiritualist Church and have devout belief in mediumship. I also know many scoffers who have went along for a laugh to some of these events and come out quite shaken when the spiritualist has hit them with information about them that no one knew. I have no time for 'ohhh I have a James/Mary coming through' or 'I am seeing a man in uniform' crap but every now and then quite rational people amaze me.

So Dex, what bookies is it you see my wife going in to?

I went to a fortune teller in Balloch over thirty years ago with a few other women. The only thing I can remember is that I nearly fell off the chair when the fey wifie told me that I was having furniture covered in green material.

How the heck did she know that? :rolleyes:

On another occasion a friend visited me with her friend who had Tarot cards. She read the cards and saw a visit to someplace with lots of flowers and ships everywhere. She was most emphatic.

I think she knew that we were planning a holiday in Greece but actually that was the year (in the 80s) when Olympic Air Tours (or some similar name) went bust. The holiday was hastily rearranged and we went to Bulgaria.

There were certainly plenty of flowers, our room was full of them, gifts from ardent admirers of the West so we had a laugh at that but no ships. However, we got a bit bored with Sunny Beach and decided to go on a mini cruise to Istanbul - between the Black Sea, the Sea of Marmara and the Bosphorus I never saw so many ships of every description. Spooky.

Following Spiritualism is as valid as following many other Voodoo based superstitions - Christians/Muslims/Sikhs/Marmite eaters/ Bhuddists/Tesco Club Card Holders/ - they all prey on fear on death and retribu8tion in order to hold power over individuals and their bank accounts. :lol:

Interesting comment, LG but what you are describing are the maps used to decribe the source and wonky maps do not negate the territory.... ;)

And the ratio of things she got wrong to her to her guesses which you think she got right.

An excellent point, Dex. It would always be the things someone got right that you would remember.

However, I like to keep an open mind. Closed minds encounter too much misery. And for the Derren Brown type tricksters - well is he not so so smart.

Derren Brown is an entertainer so called mediums prey on people.

You're probably right but for many people reading their stars and visiting the fortune teller at the fairground is just a bit of fun.

I wonder if anyone gets premonitions?

You're probably right but for many people reading their stars and visiting the fortune teller at the fairground is just a bit of fun.

I wonder if anyone gets premonitions?

Maybe not premonitions as such but I have had many experiences of the sort where out of the blue, thoughts of someone who you haven't seen or heard from for ages pop into your mind and then you bump into them at the shops/hear from them etc soon after.