Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Aileen

ANOTHER COFFEE SHOP?

Costa Coffee are planning to open a Costa Coffee shop at 170 - 174 Great George St, just off Byres Road. Byres Road and it's surrounding streets currently has 51 different places you can drink a coffee in. Do we need another coffee house?

The local independent coffee shops in the Byres Road area do not need the competition of a Costa Coffee shop. We should be sustaining and supporting our local coffee traders and not putting more pressure on them by allowing Costa, a corporate coffeehouse giant to move in. Costa Coffee will add nothing to our street or local communities and will have detrimental effects on the independent hospitality traders in the West end of Glasgow.

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/say-no-to-costa-coffee-great-george-street-glasgow/2917

Will people not vote with their feet? Either they will continue to use the existing coffee shops or they will use Costa. If people use Costa it must be because it offers them something they are not yet getting from the existing trade.

Welcome to the Forum, Aileen.

I have worked just off Portobello Road for many years, Aileen and have seen small business and local traders driven out of business by a flood of brand names, so I understand your concern. On the other hand, trading communities can benefit from having certain quality brand names set up in their area. My view, is that it is about balance and a choice for the consumer. A good mix of trading entities benefits everyone, IMV. Personally, I think Costa Coffee's coffee is rubbish. Give me Starbucks anyday... tongue.gif

Hi Aileen, totally agree with your views on this coffee shop. Have moved the topic into general chat as more people will see it in here. Will sign your petition too :o

There was a similar thread from a new poster on here protesting about the possibility of Wetherspoon's getting the old Salon cinema. If I were a west end resident, I'd have welcomed a Wetherspoon's.

In the end, G1 got it, called it some pretentious name, like 'The Bookclub' and started charging £3.40 for a pint of ordinary beer. The price has probably gone up in the meantime. Of course, no one's forcing me to buy it, so I don't.

Not so long ago, Wetherspoon's were reported to be interested in buying what was then Club 500, just south of Partick X, behind the Three Judges. Instead, the owner of The Lismore and Oran Mor outbid them.

Anyone see a pattern here? The west end's most influential pub owners aren't exactly cosy, judging by past threats of litigation, but they seem to be of one mind when it comes to keeping out a popular pub chain which might show up west end pub prices by offering the same beer at 60% of what the rest are charging.