Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Holidays

Thanks for all the tips. I am flying out tomorrow from Glasgow to Gerona. It is my intention to spend a few days in Barcelona and some time on the Costa Brava. I have been told to avoid Lloret de Mar but other than that the plans are flexible.

Hope you all enjoy your hols too.

Thanks for all the tips. I am flying out tomorrow from Glasgow to Gerona. It is my intention to spend a few days in Barcelona and some time on the Costa Brava. I have been told to avoid Lloret de Mar but other than that the plans are flexible.

That sounds like a very attractive option, Rory. You might consider Tossa de Mar, it's just a bus ride away from Barcelona and pretty little town.

I may well head off tonight if the rain stays off. I prefer to drive during the night when the roads are quiet. Probably be quieter than this library. There's a class on today. I think the trainer has hearing problems as the people passing outside in the street will be able to hear him.

Every few minutes he stops to say 'These are all booked for the class'. That's true, more than half the computers are booked out but only six in his class so the rest cannot be used.

The people using the other computers are also driving me crazy. The man beside me is on 'obline betting'. He keeps leaving the machine and someone jumps up on his seat then he comes back and has a wee rammy wie them. Someone else has the sound turned way up. What a noisy place this library is. I'm off to Waitrose for a bit of peace and quiet.

Enjoy your holidays and catch up with you all at the end of June.

Good to hear that you're all getting organised. It's a bit chaotic in our house. :blink:

Tossa is a good idea, rory. We were there once a number of years back. Very pretty place and we loved catching the wee boat and stopping off at other small towns and resorts. Hope you manage to have a nice break, Canny Lass, after the stress of Glasgow libraries. :) Your descriptions always bring a smile to my face - glad the noisy experience doesn't put you off.

The weather is supposed to be picking up here at the week-end. Let's hope it is nice during the school holidays.

A great choice and Lloret is worth seeing. It has some wonderful wee coves off to the left of the main beach. Barcelona is wonderful. Two tips, watch your wallet in Las Ramblas from pickpockets and don't part with cash to go into La Sagrida, wonderful to look at but its a bloody building site inside :blink:

I can see an alternative career for you, Sam.... laugh.gif

Certainly know his way around the world. :(

Oh me wearing a pencil moustache with aplomb, I like the thought of that :(

I'm sure you can do dapper with the very best of them, samsc. :(

My brother and sister in law just got back from a Med cruise last week. They had a great time in Cannes as the film festival was on.

A few years back we were in Toronto at the time of the film festival and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Quite a good idea if you can time your travel to coincide with interesting events.

Our holiday this year is planned to take in my nephew's graduation in Canada. First of all we are heading to New York - that's today. I think it is going to be hot, hot, hot.

I don't know whether to worry more about the flight or about Michael taking up residence in our absence. There might be a party or two but he's promised to water the plants. :(

We've been having a great time wandering around the Village, where we are based. I love the bohemian atmosphere and all the quirky little bookshops and cafes along the winding streets - in stark contrast to the bright lights of Times Square. Last night we visited an old friend at a swanky party in a fabulous apartment with tremendous views over Queensboro bridge then we walked home from Uptown back Downtown via Union Square and into University territory and Washington Square.

Today we are meeting a friend from my village for lunch in Little Italy. Then Jim has a gig tonight in the East Village - all our new friends are coming along. We'll need to take it a bit easy this afternoon as near record temperatures of 95F are forecast with air quality alerts.

To be even hotter tomorrow - just as well we are off to the Berkshires, although we you could easily spend a few months in New York.

We've been having a great time wandering around the Village, where we are based. I love the bohemian atmosphere and all the quirky little bookshops and cafes along the winding streets - in stark contrast to the bright lights of Times Square. Last night we visited an old friend at a swanky party in a fabulous apartment with tremendous views over Queensboro bridge then we walked home from Uptown back Downtown via Union Square and into University territory and Washington Square.

Today we are meeting a friend from my village for lunch in Little Italy. Then Jim has a gig tonight in the East Village - all our new friends are coming along. We'll need to take it a bit easy this afternoon as near record temperatures of 95F are forecast with air quality alerts.

To be even hotter tomorrow - just as well we are off to the Berkshires, although we you could easily spend a few months in New York.

Sounds like you are having a great time Pat. Do they still ask if you are a communist going through passport control? And if so, how did you answer :(

Sounds like you are having a great time Pat. Do they still ask if you are a communist going through passport control? And if so, how did you answer B)

I reckon we looked fairly innocent as we were asked no questions, samsc. However, we stood for an hour waiting to get through as others were grilled.

It's going to be 97 degrees today. Just as well we are heading out of town. Although it's been a great experience and we enjoyed wandering around Little Italy lasted night. Mind you the restaurant where we ate wasn't at patch on Zizzi's. :(

I reckon we looked fairly innocent as we were asked no questions, samsc. However, we stood for an hour waiting to get through as others were grilled.

It's going to be 97 degrees today. Just as well we are heading out of town. Although it's been a great experience and we enjoyed wandering around Little Italy lasted night. Mind you the restaurant where we ate wasn't at patch on Zizzi's. :(

I've never had any problems going through customs. I had more problems at Manchester Airport than other places I have travelled to.

I'm looking forward to hearing Jim live. A few of us lassies will be attending a Martini Party in the afternoon but I will, for sure, be drinking virgin Martinis. Dammit! It will be a Dry Rob Roy without the Rob bit, an Angels Tit without any Angel juice in it. A Lemon Drop with no drop...a chocolate Monkey with no monkey....life is so unfair at times. But it will be worth it to see you and Jim.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Cannie wait to spoil you a wee bit. It thrills me everytime a wee bit of Scotland comes to my neck of the woods.

Aye, yee's wull get oan like a hoose oan fire.

lesdawson.jpg

We will that.....we did when I was back home last time. A nice lady is Pat...I'm fair looking forward to seeing her again.

We have some unfinished chatting(and laughing) to do about "stuff."

Izzat Heedie tae the left?

I've never had any problems going through customs. I had more problems at Manchester Airport than other places I have travelled to.

I'm looking forward to hearing Jim live. A few of us lassies will be attending a Martini Party in the afternoon but I will, for sure, be drinking virgin Martinis. Dammit! It will be a Dry Rob Roy without the Rob bit, an Angels Tit without any Angel juice in it. A Lemon Drop with no drop...a chocolate Monkey with no monkey....life is so unfair at times. But it will be worth it to see you and Jim.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Cannie wait to spoil you a wee bit. It thrills me everytime a wee bit of Scotland comes to my neck of the woods.

That's great news, Snow White. It will be great to catch up with our Canadian friends and family. We are at Albany Airport at the moment. Our flight has been cancelled so taking a circuitous route to Buffalo via Philadelphia. We were both selected for special searches so feeling very special. :(

It would probably have been better just driving to Canada. Still we are on our way after spending a couple of great days in Massachusetts and Connecticut with friends. We went to a brilliant place last night and had some food and listened to live music at the legend that is 'Dream Away'

(The Dream Away Lodge has been a Berkshire legend for more than 90 years. Rumored to have been a brothel and speakeasy during the great depression, this two hundred year old farmhouse at the edge of October Mountain State Forest is renown for its larger than life founders, Mamma Maria Frasca and her three musical daughters, and a colorful history, rich in music and local mythology.

The 1975 visitation by Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Allen Ginsberg and the Rolling Thunder Review, led to the Dream Away's prominent role in Part Two of Dylan's epic film Renaldo and Clara - enhancing an already unmatched reputation as one of Berkshire County's best loved and most closely held hilltown secrets.)

http://www.thedreamawaylodge.com/page.php?PageID=595&PageName=The+Legend

Now looking forward to tomorrow night's gig at The Moonshine Cafe - http://www.themoonshinecafe.com/

Our flight has been cancelled so taking a circuitous route to Buffalo via Philadelphia. We were both selected for special searches so feeling very special. :lol:

Only in America! Did you get their special look too? The look that psychologically messes with you? :(:huh:B)

Only in America! Did you get their special look too? The look that psychologically messes with you? :(:huh:B)

All the trauma of the journey was related to the flight, Snow White. What a journey from Philadelphia to Buffalo. Tiny wee plane - we were in the very back seat in row 9!! I've never experienced such turbulence. Very, very scary. Everyone was screaming, except Jim, although he got thrown out of his seat and banged his head on the ceiling. We're now happily ensconced in Oakville with the Aitkens. :lol:

All the trauma of the journey was related to the flight, Snow White. What a journey from Philadelphia to Buffalo. Tiny wee plane - we were in the very back seat in row 9!! I've never experienced such turbulence. Very, very scary. Everyone was screaming, except Jim, although he got thrown out of his seat and banged his head on the ceiling. We're now happily ensconced in Oakville with the Aitkens. :(

It was wonderful to see you both.

We both really enjoyed the music and what a turn out. I listened to a few people chat behind the scenes and it was all good feedback about Jim and his music.

He's such a relaxed entertainer. I'm looking forward to hearing it all again.....I hope you brought enough CD's. They were going down fast.

Nice people that turned out. I will go back there again.

All the trauma of the journey was related to the flight, Snow White. What a journey from Philadelphia to Buffalo. Tiny wee plane - we were in the very back seat in row 9!! I've never experienced such turbulence. Very, very scary. Everyone was screaming, except Jim, although he got thrown out of his seat and banged his head on the ceiling. We're now happily ensconced in Oakville with the Aitkens. :(

Thanks for sharing about your scary flight !!! I have had palpitations ever since I read it.

BTW, I am going to be in Oakville shortly. Sadly not same time as you though.

Thanks for sharing about your scary flight !!! I have had palpitations ever since I read it.

BTW, I am going to be in Oakville shortly. Sadly not same time as you though.

It was a toty wee plane, hingmie. The big ones fly higher and you're unlikely to be shoogled aboot.

You'll love Oakville. We had a brilliant time at Jim's gig last night. It was great to see some old friends and meet new ones. Also fantastic to meet up with Snow White once again.

Had a trip into Toronto today. No shortage of construction work in that city.

It was wonderful to see you both.

We both really enjoyed the music and what a turn out. I listened to a few people chat behind the scenes and it was all good feedback about Jim and his music.

He's such a relaxed entertainer. I'm looking forward to hearing it all again.....I hope you brought enough CD's. They were going down fast.

Nice people that turned out. I will go back there again.

Sorry, Snow White. Just noticed your post. It's been rather hectic as you can imagine. Thanks very much for making the effort to come along to the gig and glad that you enjoyed it. Off to London, Ontario today for the last gig.

Hope I get a chance to see you again before heading home. A blether would be nice. We'll be going later to Midnight Madness in Oakville. Sounds intriguing!!!

Hopefully you were well away from Vancouver where there were full scale riots when the Boston Bruins beat the local team (Canucks) to win the Ice Hockey Stanley Cup

Hopefully you were well away from Vancouver where there were full scale riots when the Boston Bruins beat the local team (Canucks) to win the Ice Hockey Stanley Cup

We're on the East Coast, samsc, but there has been a lot of support for Vancouver here - thankfully no riots.

We had a great time in London, Ontario, including a walk by the River Thames. :lol: Yesterday we went to a festival in Burlington - by comparison the Mela is quiet and sedate.

Jimbo is now back on Scottish soil for his West End Festival gig and I'll return on Wednesday. I'm up bright and early and been out with Max, the Westie, for a walk to the creek. Going into Toronto this afternoon to meet my niece, who has just started a new job in Holt Renfrew - very posh. I'll try to persuade my sister to go for a stroll through Chinatown.

It's been a trip and a half. I think I need a holiday.