Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

Leaks regarding the secret ballots taken by UK Govt - part of the report shows that the don't knows when asked 'if you had to choose' were 80% in favour of YES.

Vitol stands accused of hefty tax avoidance. Ian Taylor, their Chief Exec is Better Together's largest donor. I'm pretty sure that in an Independent Scotland some of the many loopholes, whereby billions is lost in tax, would be closed. Can Westminster really not sort out some of this stuff? They have no bother applying sanctions, often unfairly, to people on benefits.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/biggest-no-campaign-donor-is-accused-over-firm-avoiding-tax.24847791?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

The Labour Party have the wind up about the Commonwealth Games casting a positive light on the Independence Debate. They should sort out their ain stuff.

Vitol stands accused of hefty tax avoidance. Ian Taylor, their Chief Exec is Better Together's largest donor. I'm pretty sure that in an Independent Scotland some of the many loopholes, whereby billions is lost in tax, would be closed. Can Westminster really not sort out some of this stuff? They have no bother applying sanctions, often unfairly, to people on benefits.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/biggest-no-campaign-donor-is-accused-over-firm-avoiding-tax.24847791?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

Don't be silly Pat, Mr Osborne's family trust is registered in the Cayman Islands

The Labour Party have the wind up about the Commonwealth Games casting a positive light on the Independence Debate. They should sort out their ain stuff.

Independemce might give us back a labour party worthy of the name

The talk in the office is that my colleagues want Scotland to say as part of the Union or England will be doomed to the Tories forever more..... WTF?

The talk in the office is that my colleagues want Scotland to say as part of the Union or England will be doomed to the Tories forever more..... WTF?

Could be a Tory/Ukip coalition. Dear heavens. You hear that all the time hear too, harper, but you also hear that the best thing that could happen for rUK politics is to have the example of an Independent Scotland.

Looks like the government have been a bit sneaky about the oil forecasts:

Financial Times' investors' magazine: Westminster is playing down potential oil cash

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/financial-times-investors-magazine-westminster-is-playing-down-potential-oi.24868958?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

It's got to happen, Pat. The alternative is unthinkable, on so many levels.

I really hope so, harper.

Clair Oil Field, west of Shetland. 5 test bores have been drilled and the results analysed. This was followed by a secret visit to Shetland by David Cameron to meet with the company doing the drilling and a 6th exploratory well halted 'until after the referendum'. Cameron's aides tried to deny the visit but unfortunately for them he was snapped getting off the helicopter.

What whispers that have got out is that this find is looking to be very significant and could be a complete game changer for the North sea.

Since the day oil was discovered in Scottish waters we have been lied to by successive Westminster Governments - nothing appears to have changed much.

The whole power situation is very important, samsc.

"The UK government is significantly underplaying the important role that Scotland's electricity plays in keeping the lights on across the UK."

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2434503/government_hostility_to_renewables_and_scottish_independence_may_put_the_lights_out.html

The Yes side have one of the most charismatic politicians in Scotland, while the No side have one of the dullest in the United Kingdom," he said.

Advice from John Curtice to Darling to bore the pants off Salmond in the debate.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/curtice-darling-needs-to-bore-for-britain.24939203?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

The Yes side have one of the most charismatic politicians in Scotland, while the No side have one of the dullest in the United Kingdom," he said.

Advice from John Curtice to Darling to bore the pants off Salmond in the debate.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/curtice-darling-needs-to-bore-for-britain.24939203?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

It won't matter how good Salmond is, the Scottish media will report it as a draw or as Salmond fails to land knock out blow; in fact here's the media's copy already written 24 hours in advance

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/anticipation.html?m=1

He wasn't actually that good and Darling wasn't actually that boring - although a bit rattled and pointy fingered.

I don't think these debates achieve much. Salmond was pretty much pinned down on the currency issue, which isn't even an issue.

But his final message was more positive. There's nothing much the No campaign can say that is positive about the status quo.

Salmond's opening series of questions were stupid, undoubtedly intended to draw attention to Project fear but trying to get Darling to agree these were stupid scare stories wasted so much valuable time for nothing to be gained.

It did and people were frustrated. All about tactics. I can't stand Darling though. Mr pointy finger.

Based on that debate, I don't have confidence in either of them running. The whole thing was pretty stagnant and dull.

Based on that debate, I don't have confidence in either of them running. The whole thing was pretty stagnant and dull.

Debates are so false. I haven't enjoyed any of them. According to the papers Salmond was very much the loser. I don't think it's hugely important the increase in Yes voters has come from efforts at a grassroots level. Better make the most of the next six weeks.

Yup. Bring it on.

To think the future of the UK Government could end up in the hands of Boris bloody Johnson is terrifying.

I swear to God, if Scotland votes NO and we end up with a Tory/Ukip coalition erses deserved to be kicked. It could happen ...

The whole Johnson family are vile.I can't stand Boris doing his" dizzy blond " schtick,and that unbearable sister that edits The Lady magazine,and don't start me on the father.Cameron and Boris would stab each other,if only.

Who remembers Better Together telling us all how Scotland were too wee to have bailed out them banks and it was only through the UK's broad shoulders, etc, etc......turns out that was another pack of lies

Ben Bernanke (pictured to the right), Alan Greenspan, and various other bankers vehemently opposed the audit and lied to Congress about the effects an audit would have on markets. Nevertheless, the results of the first audit in the Federal Reserve's nearly 100 year history were posted on Senator Sander's webpage earlier this morning.

What was revealed in the audit was startling:

$16,000,000,000,000.00 had been secretly given out to US banks and corporations and foreign banks everywhere from France to Scotland. From the period between December 2007 and June 2010 ( I thought the UK tax payer bailed out the banks?)

To place $16 trillion into perspective, remember that GDP of the United States is only $14.12 trillion. The entire national debt of the United States government spanning its 200+ year history is "only" $14.5 trillion. The budget that is being debated so heavily in Congress and the Senate is "only" $3.5 trillion. Take all of the outrage and debate over the $1.5 trillion deficit into consideration, and swallow this Red pill: There was no debate about whether $16,000,000,000,000 would be given to failing banks and failing corporations around the world.

In late 2008, the TARP Bailout bill was passed and loans of $800 billion were given to failing banks and companies. That was a blatant lie considering the fact that Goldman Sachs alone received 814 billion dollars. As is turns out, the Federal Reserve donated $2.5 trillion to Citigroup, while Morgan Stanley received $2.04 trillion. The Royal Bank of Scotland and Deutsche Bank, a German bank, split about a trillion and numerous other banks received hefty chunks of the $16 trillion.

Citigroup: $2.5 trillion ($2,500,000,000,000)

Morgan Stanley: $2.04 trillion
($2,040,000,000,000)

Merrill Lynch: $1.949 trillion ($1,949,000,000,000)

Bank of America: $1.344 trillion ($1,344,000,000,000)

Barclays PLC (United Kingdom): $868 billion ($868,000,000,000)

Bear Sterns: $853 billion ($853,000,000,000)

Goldman Sachs: $814 billion ($814,000,000,000)

Royal Bank of Scotland (UK): $541 billion ($541,000,000,000)

JP Morgan Chase: $391 billion ($391,000,000,000)

Deutsche Bank (Germany): $354 billion ($354,000,000,000)

UBS (Switzerland): $287 billion ($287,000,000,000)

Credit Suisse (Switzerland): $262 billion ($262,000,000,000)

Lehman Brothers: $183 billion ($183,000,000,000)

Bank of Scotland (United Kingdom): $181 billion ($181,000,000,000)

BNP Paribas (France): $175 billion ($175,000,000,000)

www.sott.net/article/250592-Audit-of-the-Federal-Reserve-Reveals-16-Trillion-in-Secret-Bailouts