Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Nonsense. Arrant bliddy nonsense.

What I love in a Scot is quiet, assured confidence, not some aggressive, arrogant viewpoint that people throughout the world would mock us for--- and stereotype us by the lowest common denominator, see you Jimmy styleee.

IMHO, there's a lot to be said for doing a fair bit of travel beyond our borders (and I don't mean highrise resorts where you get everything British on demand) and setting our very strong pride in our country in a wider perspective within different cultures.

The rest of the world aren't our enemies (or our inferiors), although it would seem some might think so, given their fanatical zeal. In fact, in my experience, Scots are warmly welcomed the world over---so long as they don't go in all defensive with all guns blazing. That's the stuff of caricature and does none of us any favours.

When we moved down to Sydney Mrs Oz decided to go back to teaching. She had to get her NSW Teacher's certification. which involved fronting up to Education Dept with her Scottish Certificate & her Jordanhill diploma. Lady at counter filled out a temporary certificate for her there & then (said she wished they were all that easy) & told her subject to checks she would get an appointment within a few days.

She did and within 2 weeks she was teaching. Her headmaster told her that they asked for her "as you Scot's are always so competent" Not a bad recommendation.

It is surprising just how many CEOs & Chairmen here are Scots. All quietly competent people. They dont advertise being Scots & its only when you hear the slight Scot's accent that you realise they are. The head of the biggest bank was a Scot. On his retirement his position was taken over by a South African Lady.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I love in a Scot is quiet, assured confidence, not some aggressive, arrogant viewpoint that people throughout the world would mock us for--- and stereotype us by the lowest common denominator, see you Jimmy styleee.

IMHO, there's a lot to be said for doing a fair bit of travel beyond our borders (and I don't mean highrise resorts where you get everything British on demand) and setting our very strong pride in our country in a wider perspective within different cultures.

The rest of the world aren't our enemies (or our inferiors), although it would seem some might think so, given their fanatical zeal. In fact, in my experience, Scots are warmly welcomed the world over---so long as they don't go in all defensive with all guns blazing. That's the stuff of caricature and does none of us any favours.

Crackin post, an' mah sentymints eggzackly. Well done young sir.

When I moved down Saaf I was the butt of every jock joke going (this was pre compo days for hurt feelings) damn :) and I responded "stereotypically" like Jannette Crankie on acid - all accents blazin! and I would see the look on the perpetrator's face - a quiet smug got ya look :D I look back now and wish I'd understood the Southerners sense of humour better and had some of that quiet self-assured confidence :P

I think I see your point, but sometimes "pretty" can be just a wee bit too "chocolate box-y", if you see what I mean. Not always, of course, but sometimes you do want a bit of austere, cold and imposing. And even grey. (All together now, "sing if you're glad to be grey, sing if you're happy that way ...") :)

I see your point and agree too and I raise another point :P and say that's whats great about the wee islands of Brittania and Irlanda - the contrast.

I can't wait to get the free travel pass and toddle about the place - grey hair flying in the wind.

Guest westtender

Nonsense. Arrant bliddy nonsense.

You misunderstand me.

When I moved down Saaf I was the butt of every jock joke going (this was pre compo days for hurt feelings) damn :D and I responded "stereotypically" like Jannette Crankie on acid - all accents blazin! and I would see the look on the perpetrator's face - a quiet smug got ya look :D I look back now and wish I'd understood the Southerners sense of humour better and had some of that quiet self-assured confidence :P

When I lived in London as a teenager in the 60s, it was a bit annoying at times when people just refused to 'understand anything I was saying'. However, this only happened every now and again and for the main part people would say how much they liked my accent and I also had a lot of laughs with colleagues at work over my use of colloquialisms.

They thought it was hilarious when I said things like "I'm going the messages" but then I would tease them back by sprinkling my sentences with phrases like "ever so nice".

In my job at the University of London Appointments Board they actually moved me onto the reception desk when the Commonwealth Graduates were being interviewed by potential employers. The reason was that the students, from all airts and pairts, seemed to understand me better than anyone else working there - they were posh. :)

In Canada you are almost treated like a celebrity by some folks when they hear your Scottish accent. I've often felt a bit daft when people have asked me to "say something else". My sister has lived in Onatario for around 30 years and she still gets this request.

No. I don't do "FAST". :P On an energetic day, I might sometimes do "stroll" or "amble". Any more might suggest ambition. And energy and stuff.

:)

I'll bet your great at a glide.

Guest westtender

I've often felt a bit daft when people have asked me to "say something else". My sister has lived in Onatario for around 30 years and she still gets this request.

I've found "Say Curly Wurly" to be a popular request!

Just in:

an e-mail from jelizimilia complete with a photae. Says she read my relationships on the web site (disnae say which web site) and wid like tae meet me in a cafe for a conversation. Good lookin young lassie, mibee near twenty years auld.

Noo ay wull admit tae bein a wall flower in this dance of romance, but a twenty year auld dis seem a wee bit daaunting.

tam

Guest westtender

Just in:

an e-mail from jelizimilia complete with a photae. Says she read my relationships on the web site (disnae say which web site) and wid like tae meet me in a cafe for a conversation. Good lookin young lassie, mibee near twenty years auld.

Noo ay wull admit tae bein a wall flower in this dance of romance, but a twenty year auld dis seem a wee bit daaunting.

tam

tam..... NAW!!

Just in:

tam

You can't fail Tam. If she asks for a few hundred quid to cover new shoes to meet you, pay up, give her your credit card number - it is guaranteed that your reward will increase at least ten fold. Money can't buy happiness but Barclaycard can !

L. G.

That is what i wanted tae hear, a herty response from a red blooded adherent tae "promiscuity rules".

tam

ehm, wid ye gie us a lend of yur credit card ?

ahm no gonnae keep it.

When I lived in London as a teenager in the 60s, it was a bit annoying at times when people just refused to 'understand anything I was saying'.

ah but! I've noticed that some people regardless of where immediately turn off their hearing when a new accent is presented to them. It's like oh you speak different of course I won't understand you :lol:

ah but! I've noticed that some people regardless of where immediately turn off their hearing when a new accent is presented to them. It's like oh you speak different of course I won't understand you :lol:

That's right, IonaW. Or you can listen and start thinking 'wonder where they come from' and that stops you concentrating. I know I have been guilty of that myself so my fault I can't understand. Although, I admit to having been completely flummoxed by some Geordie's and Cockneys. ( I think it was an 'unsure' emoticon. Just for effect - I know LG is one of our Englishmen).

That's right, IonaW. Or you can listen and start thinking 'wonder where they come from' and that stops you concentrating. I know I have been guilty of that myself so my fault I can't understand. Although, I admit to having been completely flummoxed by some Geordie's and Cockneys. ( I think it was an 'unsure' emoticon. Just for effect - I know LG is one of our Englishmen).

LOL or over here in Fermanagh where they generally tend to speak at a slower pace :lol: compared to the "flying Glaswegian" here. I'm finishing their stories before they even thought of them. Rude I know but it drives me nuts ;)

LOL or over here in Fermanagh where they generally tend to speak at a slower pace :lol: compared to the "flying Glaswegian" here. I'm finishing their stories before they even thought of them. Rude I know but it drives me nuts :D

I speak pretty slowly and drive folk nuts. Especially when I pause to have a wee think to myself in the middle of a sentence. It might be quite helpful if I could find people that could finish off for me. ;)