Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
rolo tomassi

Cake Nostalgia

:) Haha, just when I am thinking "huh, same blooming age as Barack Obama and he gets to run a scarily big country and I achieve nothing ... sob sob", and now I HAVE made my mark upon the world.

Well, upon ONE biscuit. In ONE house. In ONE city. Still, it's a start, eh? ;) Today it might be only one biscuit. Morgen, die ganze Welt!

As for the nostalgia, what about the lemon sticky biscuits, the name of which escapes me? They *might* have been called "Lemon Puffs".

Custard slices, whatever their real name was, were fun as a wean too. Not an everyday thing, but grand potential for a gooey mess. And those slices of iced gingerbread. Lovely stodgy stuff!

I expect all of the nostalgia cakes still exist and it's just that nobody eats them any more. Well, somebody does ..... sod it, *I* know what I mean. Probably people with weans are more in touch with cakey and biscuity things, even if only to say "no, it is not good for you". :)

Hey, I wonder if there's money to be made in opening a bakery deliberately targetted at the nostalgia-cake market. Profit from profiteroles, oh yeah!

You've made your mark on here, Hamsterbert. Obama has yet to discover us. Don't know if he could cope with the Initiation Ceremony. :)

Lemon puffs and iced gingerbread are still around. One cake that I love that was not discovered as a child is carrot cake. The best ones are in Sonny & Vito's.

I'll tell you my sad profiterole story another time. Must sign off as I have a deadline today. Also in high state of excitement (not cake induced) but a great surprise just arrived for me. Late present of a MacBook. I'm delirious. I can now work in cafes with cake and coffee by my side. :blink:

Nice as all these are, there is nothing in this world that can compare to my Mums bread pud.

My (much) better half has had a go at trying to make the same and on one occaision came very close indeed - prompting (LITERALLY) involuntary moans of delight..... cor !

I did a sneaky one at work yesterday. Acouple of us had decided to have a cake to day, to brighten up a working Sunday, we were to bake cakes and take them in. As I don't bake I was going to buy MaryBaker pack (do they still exist) but forgot. So got of the bus went into shop bought Tate and Lyle Syrup Flan, took towork heated in micro, so it would seem it had just come out oven this morning. Worked a treat and it was deliciousssssssssss hot, my new favourite indulgence. Of course I did fess up.

You mob get "mud" cake there???

Totally unbeatable!

Right Gayle?

Other Antipodean delicacies include Pavlova, witchety frappes, lamingtons

I heart Hamsterbert. :D

Hammy, get you to your nearest Ald*. They are doing ein Sturm in trad baking stylee.

Pointy pineapple cakes, German biscuits, (jawohl!) gingerbread squares (mit icing!), lemon sponge cakes with gooeylemonybits UND mit icing!, and hurrah!......... grosse rhubarb tarts, well not that grosse, but genug fur zwei.

Nicht the PEH-type ones as previously queried that are made of cold-water pastry.....but the Ald* ones have..................wait furrit, PINK SUGAR on top.

OZ. I had a Lamington once when over there. Caused no end of argument on our tour bus on occasions since (when we were REALLY bored).

I aye insisted the Lamington was a square bit of sponge covered in jam with a layer of shredded coconut on top. The drummer in the band aye insisted that what I'd had was a Pavlova. This topic still comes up on occasion twenty years later. Rock'n'roll, phew!.. :(

I almost don't want you to settle it. :rolleyes:

OK I wont tell you you were right & drummer wrong.

Thank flip for that.

I just couldn't handle the responsibility of telling him he was definitely wrong. The sheer ignominy might turn him into a pathetic crack addict, on a downward spiral to all manner of hell, and jail--- and all that.

And it'd be YOUR FAULT, Oz. :(

... Pavlova, witchety frappes, lamingtons

"Witchety Frappes"? Hmm, I've only heard of a witchetty grub, so I just hope these ones are nicer and don't involve insects.

(Edited to fix the mess I made of the quote thingy.)

Is that a pavlova or a meringue :(

Its a pavlova, its on a base of some sort, covered with meringue, filled with cream & covered with fresh fruit.

"Witchety Frappes"? Hmm, I've only heard of a witchetty grub, so I just hope these ones are nicer and don't involve insects.

rofl5.gif well spotted Hammy

I suppose it would contain witchetty grubs if it existed I just bunged it in for the hell of it rofl5.gif

Thanks Dex I missed it :) been too long & even then weejie was a hard acquired second language.

I thought at first my farmer relatives were speaking Gaelic at first ... certainly wasnt Queens(land) English

I've been corrected they didn't speak weejie. They spoke Lallands

I think you're right Hammy, having kids keeps you well in touch with the bakery scene and there are plenty of old style cakes still around (especially in country towns). Few of the current favourites in this house are gingerbread men (or ladies), smiley face decorated shortbread biscuits, fluffy cupcakes decorated as little piggies, merangue 'caterpillars', chocolate hedgehog slice (yum!) and I am proud to say that my local bakery have been the state vanilla slice champions 3 years running :D . Lamingtons, of course, are always available (usually with little Aussie flag in them). Not that I spend much time at the bakery... ;)

... Not that I spend much time at the bakery... ;)

No no, not at all, perish the thought. :D Doesn't sound as though you are familiar with the bakery shop at all, oh dearie me no. :lol:

The chocolate hedgehog slices sound good.

No mud cake Gayle. You poor deprived person you ;)

I'm afraid to say - and I can't believe it's true - but mud cakes are even too sweet for me. It's like mars bars - too much of a good thing.

No no, not at all, perish the thought. ;) Doesn't sound as though you are familiar with the bakery shop at all, oh dearie me no. :D

The chocolate hedgehog slices sound good.

:lol:

I'm trying to keep visits to a minimum but it's a tough habit to break.

Hi,

I love a good quality Battenberg cake with real marzipan covering Bradfords do a lovely version,not that horrible synthetic almond flavoured paste.Theres nothing like biting into the firm but yielding marzipan,and then through to the pink and pale yellow sponge,washed down with a cup of English breakfast tea.Delicious,

Willie.x.

Hi,

I love a good quality Battenberg cake with real marzipan covering Bradfords do a lovely version,not that horrible synthetic almond flavoured paste.Theres nothing like biting into the firm but yielding marzipan,and then through to the pink and pale yellow sponge,washed down with a cup of English breakfast tea.Delicious,

Willie.x.

Is Bradfords in Sauchiehall Street still open, Willie? I thought it was closing?

Battenberg tastes and looks lovely, Willie. A bit difficult to put together I would imagine.

Does anyone remember Royal Scot biscuits. I wonder if you can still get them. We used to love making them into wee empire biscuits. A dollop of strawberry jam in the middle of two biscuits, icing sugar on the top and a pastille (or as we called them 'joob joobs') on the top.

Does anyone remember Royal Scot biscuits. I wonder if you can still get them. We used to love making them into wee empire biscuits. A dollop of strawberry jam in the middle of two biscuits, icing sugar on the top and a pastille (or as we called them 'joob joobs') on the top.

I remember the Royal Scot biscuits and the kid on empire biscuits, Canny Lass but 'joob joobs' are a new one on me. :lol:

I think perhaps the biscuit trick which has taken over is melted butter and crushed digestives for the cheesecake base. :)