Summer Gathering and Remembering Douglas Moore, Burnbank Gardens, Sat 18 June, 2016
Saturday, 18th June, 2015 at 1pm
Burnbank Gardens, Kelvinbridge, Glasgow G20 6HD
Libby McArthur: actress/writer/director and patron of Queens Cross Housing Association will join the celebrations by opening the event and remembering Douglas. Neighbours, Councillors and representatives from housing associations, GWHA and QCHA will also be there.
Douglas lived in the area for many years and died last year at the age of 90. As well as his hard work within the Burnbank community, he was an Independent Councillor and a Justice of the Peace. He was the original founder of Burnbank Housing Association which was eventually incorporated into Glasgow West Housing Association. Douglas was a member of their Board for 8 years. As well as this, he was Head of the Glasgow Branch for the Scottish Was Blind where he worked until his retirement.
BGA, the newly-established Residents Association for the Burnbank Gardens area, is delighted to host the first of many social gatherings aimed at bringing together and building our neighbourhood community. This event will focus on the contribution of Douglas Morris who was a pioneer in forming the original Housing Association here in Burnbank Gardens. Many of our longer-standing residents in the area remember Douglas and his commitment to building community housing in the area. This neighbourhood event gives us an opportunity to acknowledge his hard work and commitment.
Douglas’ family are travelling from far and wide to attend the event, including his daughter from Spain, and uncle and cousins from Wales. This is an important day for them.
There will be a chance to catch up with your neighbours and get to know new residents in the community. Burnbank Gardens Residents Association hopes this event will be the first of many social gatherings within our neighbourhood and we warmly invite locals to come along for conversation and refreshments in the gardens on Saturday 18th June at 1pm.
hBurnbank Gardens Association Facebook
- Seeds of Thought – Creative Writing
- Richard Holloway ‘Waiting for the Last Bus’ review Mary Irvine
- Electric Honey Records Showcase – OranMor
- Look Who’s Talking Now with Des Dillon
- Helen Fitzgerald and Doug Johnstone at Waterstones Sauchiehall St
- Yikes Film Club presents Grand Budapest Hotel
- Book Launch: ‘this exquisite corpse’ Tawnya Renelle
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Dialogue: Niven Govinden and Season Butler
- Wild Festival and Gala, Children’s Wood
- The Bolshoi Ballet: Carmen Suite / Petrushka Live
- Arctic GFT
- Birds of Passage
- Slow Food Glasgow Food, Class and Transformation in Glasgow
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival Bailando Con Margot: An Encore Screening CCA
- Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption, Rock n Roll GFT
- Donbass GFT
- Submissions Glasgow Film Festival
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema