DiCoMBoBuLiTe 25th July, 2014, The Project Cafe
25th July, 2014 at 7 p.m.
The Project Cafe
DiSCoMBoBuLaTe was often criticized, during its long and successful runs at several prestigious venues, for the appalling sexual imbalance of its lineups. We hope to address that problem at DisCoMBoBuLiTe by including more men. Poet Magi Gibson, chanteuse Christine Bovill and writer Lynsey Calderwood are not men as such. In fact, let’s be honest about this – they’re women.
One or other of the open spots might be men: We may have to go for a bit of positive discrimination on that one. But playwright Iain Heggie is a man. He’ll be on. Host Ian Macpherson is also a man. Fortunately they don’t know that at the Women’s Library or he’d be off the board of directors. But the increasingly troubled genius will be back in trousers for opening night.
Bring Your Own Bottle. Corkage £2.00. Pizza £4.00 from 6pm.
DisComBoBuLiTe Revives Book Snuff
Book Snuff is based on a simple premise. There are too many writers in the world. Let’s kill some of them off. Book Snuff was devised in 1920 by emerging author Virginia Woolf in an ill-fated attempt to murder fellow author James Joyce. She was furious with Joyce, it seems, for being even more incomprehensible than she was. The plan backfired when she ended up winning the first grand final herself. Her career has not looked back since.
Winners of subsequent finals include Ernest Hemingway, Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Hunter S.Thompson, Yukio Mishima.
INTERESTING FACT: Ms. Woolf, or Miss Woolf as she was known in those days, offered Book Snuff to the BBC Home Service. She was turned down on the grounds that the BBC didn’t exist at the time.
The Project Cafe, 134 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6ST
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- Danger Poets, Waterstones Byres Road
- Women With Fierce Words CCA
- Books at the Botanics
- Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Paul Murdoch, Alexandria Writers + Open Mic
- Pinolino Puppet Show and Story Telling
- Free Pride CCA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Edinburgh International Book Festival 2019
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Obsession: Double Bill Safe/To Die For GFT
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Glasgow Literary Lounge featuring Louise Malone on art plus Open Mic
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Scottish PEN Writers In Exile review by Pat Byrne