Day of the Dead Glesga 2016, St Luke’s 29 October, 2016
The spirit of Mexico’s most famous festival Día de los Muertos – Day of the Dead – returns to Glasgow descending on one of the city’s oldest churches, Saint Luke’s, to host its biggest fiesta to date!
Promising a party hotter than a scotch-bonnet this Halloween weekend, prepare for a piñata-packed night of live music, immersive performances, Aztec rituals, Latin inspired tunes, face-painting, plenty of tequila, cocktails and Mexican food.
Plus more to be announced…
Tickets £10 Adv
***** Rapido Mariachi (LIVE)****Scotland’s best loved sombrero-topped four-piece, famed for their Barrowlands appearance with Canadian art rockers Arcade Fire, will take to the stage to perform their danceable, alternative pop twist on the mariachi tradition.
*******SENOR POCO LOCO *******Transporting the fiesta to Mexico City and beyond will be resident BALKANARAMA DJ Ewan Evans, aka, Señor Poco Loco, spinning an exotic mix of heavy Latin rhythms, classic tunes, and tropical disco.
*****IMMERSIVE PERFORMANCES*******Recreating the festival’s carnival sprit – led by Glasgow’s Janine Fearne (SambaYaBamba & G.O.D) – dancers & physical theatre performers will pay homage to the afterlife with their interpretive take on Mexican folklore.
******FACEPAINTERS*******Facepainters will be on hand throughout the night to metamorphosize partygoers into calavera skulls.
****** FOOD & DRINK******And keeping the fiesta fuelled, Saint Luke’s bar and restaurant will be offering up a Mexican inspired menu and colourful selection of classic cocktails and spirits
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Dandiya Nights, Milngavie Town Hall October 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, School of Rock, Blythswood Hall.
- The Mask of Zorro, Blythswood Hall, Glasgow
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- SUPER Market Glasgow 2018
- Pollok House, Glasgow Doors Open Days, Craft Fair
- Wild Harvest, Native Trees and Fruit, Locavore Guided Walk and Discussion
- Cheeky Besoms Speakeasy and Open Mic Night Glasgow
- Pollokshaws Community Carnival 2018
- Scotland’s Food and Drink Fortnight 2018
- Six and a Tanner, OranMor
- Young People invited to Meet Mhairi Black M.P., Clydebank
- Medical Aid for Palestinians, Evening at Sloans Glasgow
- Late Night: Superbad, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Glasgow Canal Festival 2018