Day of the Dead Glesga 2016, St Luke’s 29 October, 2016
The spirit of Mexico’s most famous festival Día de los Muertos – Day of the Dead – returns to Glasgow descending on one of the city’s oldest churches, Saint Luke’s, to host its biggest fiesta to date!
Promising a party hotter than a scotch-bonnet this Halloween weekend, prepare for a piñata-packed night of live music, immersive performances, Aztec rituals, Latin inspired tunes, face-painting, plenty of tequila, cocktails and Mexican food.
Plus more to be announced…
Tickets £10 Adv
***** Rapido Mariachi (LIVE)****Scotland’s best loved sombrero-topped four-piece, famed for their Barrowlands appearance with Canadian art rockers Arcade Fire, will take to the stage to perform their danceable, alternative pop twist on the mariachi tradition.
*******SENOR POCO LOCO *******Transporting the fiesta to Mexico City and beyond will be resident BALKANARAMA DJ Ewan Evans, aka, Señor Poco Loco, spinning an exotic mix of heavy Latin rhythms, classic tunes, and tropical disco.
*****IMMERSIVE PERFORMANCES*******Recreating the festival’s carnival sprit – led by Glasgow’s Janine Fearne (SambaYaBamba & G.O.D) – dancers & physical theatre performers will pay homage to the afterlife with their interpretive take on Mexican folklore.
******FACEPAINTERS*******Facepainters will be on hand throughout the night to metamorphosize partygoers into calavera skulls.
****** FOOD & DRINK******And keeping the fiesta fuelled, Saint Luke’s bar and restaurant will be offering up a Mexican inspired menu and colourful selection of classic cocktails and spirits
- Film Listings at GFT, March 2018
- Generations Working Together, Conference, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- Roteract Fancy a Cup of Tea with a Refugee, QMU, University of Glasgow
- Sweet Country, Cineworld Glasgow
- The Breadwinner, GFT
- Working Girl, GFF 2018
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown, GFT
- 45s for 45 All Day Fundraiser, Old Toll Bar, Glasgow
- Boutique Health and Fitness Festival, Glasgow
- Stars for Starchild, Fundraiser 3 March, 2018
- Help the Homeless Glasgow ‘I am not lost’, 25 February, 2018
- Thank Funk it’s Friday, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- CULTURE MINISTERS WELCOME IRISH MUSICIANS TO SCOTLAND GB18
- Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018
- Whyte and Mackay, Glasgow International Comedy Festival 2018
- Celtic Connections 25th Anniversary Opening Concert, review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club, 27 January, 2018
- Save £4 Ticket Offer- The Creative Craft Show and The Scottish Quilting Show
- Artists Network Lunch, Woodland Community