Chris Bambery – Scotland’s Past, Scotland’s Future 17 July, CCA
Chris Bambery – Scotland’s Past, Scotland’s Future
17 July, 2014, 6.30 p.m.
After last month’s launch of his ground-breaking book A People’s History of Scotland, Chris Bambery returns to add historical context to contemporary debates around the independence referendum, delving into the real and oft-forgotten history of Scotland.
Bambery is a writer, broadcaster, TV producer and founding member of the International Socialist Group in Scotland. For many years he was the Secretary of the British Socialist Workers Party. He is the author of Scotland: Class and Nation (1999), A Rebel’s Guide to Gramsci (2006) and The Second World War: A Marxist History (2013).
His most recent book, A People’s History of Scotland, is a corrective to the usual history of kings and queens, victorious battles and bloody defeats. Rather it tells the story that matters today—the story of freedom fighters, suffragettes, the workers of Red Clydesdale who fought for their rights and the contemporary struggle for independence. It looks at the struggles for nationhood as well as for a socialist future, while also charting the lives of Scots who changed the world: from the real Macbeth to the father of modern capitalism, Adam Smith, as well as campaigner Mary Brooksbank. This is a passionate cry for more than just independence but also for a nation that has deep socialist roots.
A People’s History of Scotland will be available at a special discount price.
350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Glasgow Literary Lounge featuring Louise Malone on art plus Open Mic
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Scottish PEN Writers In Exile review by Pat Byrne
- Start – Graham Morgan at Helensburgh Library
- Book Launch: ‘The Sound of the Hours’ Karen Campbell
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Book Launch: Something Like Happy – Sasha Greene
- From Glasgow To Saturn Pride Edition Launch
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Longlist for McIlvanney Prize Scottish Crime Book of the Year 2019
- Express Yourself – Poets at Tellit Slant
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- The Creative Process with Jacqueline Smith
- An Evening with local author – Pat McIntosh
- Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper