Black History Month Celebration – Open Mic with Tawona Sithole, CCA, 25 October, 2016
Open Mic with Host, Tawona Sithole
25 October, 2016 7 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tawona Sithole is a poet, playwright, and musician who enjoys the challenge of new creative experiences. Tiwona started writing and performing his work, and published his first collection of poetry in 2006. He continues his creative journey by hosting and facilitating writing workshops, working in education and theatre, radio appearances, writer residencies, event organisation and studio recording. He delivers workshops in schools, community groups and works with all ages, ranges of ability.
Originally from Zimbabwe and living in Glasgow sharing his heritage with others keeps him grounded, and helps increase awareness of lesser-known perspectives of his experiences as an African. Using these influences, he has developed a contemporary style of expression, through mbira (traditional Zimbabwean music instrument), spoken word, and creative writing and drama. He often uses humour to challenge stereotypes and misinformation. Tiwona draws on his challenging experiences (such as racism) of living within a different culture from his own creatively linking cultures together.
Tawona is co-founder of Seeds of Thought a none-funded arts group working to promote creative writing and performance. He often collaborates with writers and artists working across multiple disciplines.
This is a Free Event for All
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor