Balkanarama’s annual SPECIAL, Glasgow 4 June, 2016
TWO ROOMS \\\ FORTY PERFORMERS \\\ ONE GIGANTIC BIRTHDAY BAKLAVA CAKE oooopaaaaa!!
Balkanarama is always a colorful flamboyant vivacious affair, but Balkanarama’s annual SPECIAL truly is an experience not to be missed! We are delighted to announce that this Birthday Celebration will welcome two beautifully accomplished bands:
Faith i Branko (Serbia/UK) and Errichetta Underground (Rome/Amsterdam)!
In addition to these fabulous virtuoso musicians, we also welcome troops of mesmerising gypsy BELLY DANCERS, Balkan Beats DJs, VJs spinning bespoke LIVE VISUALS (some vintage ones created 9 years ago and projected at some of the very first Balkanaramas!), magical BALKAN BOUTIQUE – providers of fantastic costumes, fake mustaches, glitterGlitterGlitter and other outrageous&gorgeous things; JUGGLERS, fire breathers and HOOP MASTERS; as well as our gorgeous RAKIJA WENCHES!
As always, the guests who arrive early will be able to enjoy the Live Acoustic JAM SESSION at the very start of the evening where they can get close&personal with numerous participating musicians! PLUS many many other TREATS & SURPRISES including a super delicious home-made Birthday BAKLAVA CAKE, sweet TURKISH COFFEE and home-made rakija PLUM BRANDY!
Come dance, jump, sing, cry, scream, drink, laugh, sigh!!
Dress to impress and feeeel gooood in your frocks!
‘Balkan is the new punk!’ The Scotsman
‘You are hit by something utterly alive and you are able to see beyond the shiny instruments, wobbly bellies and rattling drums right into Balkanarama’s hear. And it beats fast and furious’ Skinny
‘A truly unique event’ with ‘some of the finest gypsy-jazz musicians around’ The List
ABOUT THE ARTISTS:
Faith i Branko have recently returned from working with Emir Kusturica in Serbia, released their Album ‘Gypsy Lover’ with the World Music Network/Riverboat Records in March 2016, and are currently touring the record throughout Europe, U.S. and Australia (2016/2017)
This wonderful 4-piece is headed by a married duo of a leading virtuoso Roma violinist from Serbia and a an accomplished UK accordionist ‘whose fusion style is almost as colourful as their history… Musically, it’s a delight’ The Guardian ****
‘Quite remarkable musicians with a fascinating stage presence’ BBC World Service
‘Really rather fine!’ fRoots
Errichetta Underground is a 8-piece born almost ten years ago in streets and squares of Rome’s historical center – today its members are based all over Europe – Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna, Bratislava and Paris. The founding force behind Rome’s Errichetta Festival, the band’s repertoire is deeply grounded in the traditional klezmer and Balkan music. Richness and originality of Errichetta springs from creative linking of those with various musical backgrounds of its members (folk, jazz, contemporary classical) and from their incredible performance energy, as well as huge expressive power, love of risk and musical acrobatics, and the joy of making the whole audience, whether street pedestrians or elegant music scholars, dance till the morning!! On this special occasion of Balkanarama’s Birthday Errichetta Underground will welcome a very special guest – acclaimed Serbian saxophone player, Nicolas Arsenijevic.
ANNUAL BALKANARAMA SPECIAL!
*celebrating 9 years of Balkanarama*
Friday 3 June
10pm – 3am
£10adv | £11/£12 otd
Adv tickets from Ripping Records, South Bridge, www.rippingrecords.com
Tickets Scotland, Rose St, www.tickets-scotland.com
Chocolate Tree (123 Bruntsfield Pl) & New Leaf (23 Argyle Pl)
Saturday 4 June
Glasgow School of Art
10.30pm – 3am
£10adv | £11/£12 otd
Adv tickets from: Vic Bar at The Art School, Scott St &
Tickets Scotland, Argyle St, www.tickets-scotland.com
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA