West End Festival 2019 – Programme Launch
The West End Festival (WEF) has launched its 2019 programme this evening, (Friday, 26 April), featuring the first ever drag queen murder mystery in Scotland, plus another 350+ events and a new official closing event.
Every year festival organisers pull another great community event out of the bag and this year is no different with an eclectic mix of gigs, theatrical performances, outdoor ceilidhs, walks, talks, a literary programme, community gala days and much more packed in!
The West End Festival often has ‘first of’ events and this year, ‘Drag in The Dark – Killer Queens’, is the first drag queen murder mystery event to take place in Scotland, on 27 June at Curlers Bar, Byres Road, featuring Guillotina Munter, Frans Gender and Kiko.
Michael Dale, director, West End Festival said: “We are very excited about the programme this year and in particular the closing event at Cottiers on 30 June, with live performances from WEF’s favourite acts. You’d better secure your tickets early though!”
As Scotland’s largest community event, the West End Festival doesn’t hide the fact that each year it becomes more challenging to develop the programme with such limited resources, but it owes so much to the volunteers and local businesses who support the festival.
Liz Scobie, chairman of the festival said: “Once again we’ve worked with venues, promoters, event organisers and individuals to develop a really exciting programme. We’re most proud of the fact that we have so many free-to-attend events, which means we can make the festival accessible to anyone in Glasgow, and beyond.
“This year, we’re appealing to people who have perhaps not come before, to have a look at the programme and find an event that they will enjoy. In addition, we’re really excited about the official closing event we’ve got planned. If you want a piece of the action this June, you can find all the details on the website.”
“Thinking ahead, we’ve already got our thinking caps on for 2020 as we celebrate 25 years! Ideas are welcome!”
Full event listings, searchable by date, venue or category via westendfestival.co.uk
The West End Festival Programme Launch
Always fun at the Kibble Palace for the launch of the West End Festival – last night (Friday 26th April, 2019) there was a great buzz with lots of familiar faces out supporting the festival and new faces with some participants taking part for the first time. I was pleased to chat with lots of folk including: Colin Beattie, OranMor, John Hancox, Children’s Garden, Botanic Gardens, and his partner Rowena, Emily Cutts, Chair of Children’s Wood, Theresa Lowe, Book Festival, David Sneddon local pharmacist, Carol Monaghan, MP, Sandie, Linda, Ian, Gil and Tony.
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Ball of Fire, GFT
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 CCA
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Green Film Festival 2019 GFT
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Let Glasgow Flourish: The Case for a Metropolitan City Boundary, Ian R. Mitchell
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Strathclyde Park Fireworks Display 2019