Weaving DNA 08 Apr – 22 May, 2016 The Lighthouse
Weaving DNA 08 Apr – 22 May, 2016
Weaving DNA is an immersive textile exhibition borne from a collaboration between Icelandic product designer Hanna Dís Whitehead and Scottish textile designer Claire Anderson. Together they re-appropriate traditional Nordic and Scottish textiles, examining the ways in which these represent and shape aspects of national identity.
Layers of textiles will describe the cultural fusion of a speculative Nordic Scottish tribe and the complexity of definitions of identity.
The exhibition presents a multivalent view of national identity by embracing individuality and provoking possibilities in interpretation. Significantly, the protagonist of the exhibition will be a ‘Normcore Tribesman’, which is digitally printed on a silk organza alongside two Nordic Scottish totems made from a combination of Icelandic and Scottish wool. The exhibition will also include an Icelandic wool infinity sweater, constructed using the infinity knotting technique associated with Viking folklore.
Driven by a desire to create a common material identity drawing on the Nordic and Scottish region’s shared cultural, historical and geographical roots, Weaving DNA combines innovative design approaches with the experience of cultural and social hybridity from the perspective of both designers’ influences.
- Opening Hours
Monday to Saturday
10.30am – 5.00pm
12.00pm – 5.00pm
Glasgow, Scotland G1 3NU
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gallery, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- West End Festival 2021
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Siobhan Miller at Websters Theatre
- Bill W and Dr Bob, Websters Theatre
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN
- Riverside Festival x Turn The Tables