Weaving DNA 08 Apr – 22 May, 2016 The Lighthouse
Weaving DNA 08 Apr – 22 May, 2016
Weaving DNA is an immersive textile exhibition borne from a collaboration between Icelandic product designer Hanna Dís Whitehead and Scottish textile designer Claire Anderson. Together they re-appropriate traditional Nordic and Scottish textiles, examining the ways in which these represent and shape aspects of national identity.
Layers of textiles will describe the cultural fusion of a speculative Nordic Scottish tribe and the complexity of definitions of identity.
The exhibition presents a multivalent view of national identity by embracing individuality and provoking possibilities in interpretation. Significantly, the protagonist of the exhibition will be a ‘Normcore Tribesman’, which is digitally printed on a silk organza alongside two Nordic Scottish totems made from a combination of Icelandic and Scottish wool. The exhibition will also include an Icelandic wool infinity sweater, constructed using the infinity knotting technique associated with Viking folklore.
Driven by a desire to create a common material identity drawing on the Nordic and Scottish region’s shared cultural, historical and geographical roots, Weaving DNA combines innovative design approaches with the experience of cultural and social hybridity from the perspective of both designers’ influences.
- Opening Hours
Monday to Saturday
10.30am – 5.00pm
12.00pm – 5.00pm
Glasgow, Scotland G1 3NU
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gallery, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Carlton Jug Band at The Clutha
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Hope GFT
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Be Bop Bairns Christmas Party
- The Bishop’s Wife, GFT
- Lamb GFT