Wakeful Screening at CCA
7 February, 2020 6 p.m.
Hosted by See Red Women’s Workshop
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Glasgow screening of ‘Wakeful’.. back to Clydeside! Artists’ film Wakeful reconstructs the voyage of a Clydeside destroyer following the Bolshevik Revolution, in an expanded screening foregrounding experimental approaches to historical memory.
Anne Robinson’s Wakeful concerns a hidden history. A few days after the declaration of ‘peace’ on November 11th, 1918, a small squadron of British ships were dispatched from Rosyth on the east coast of Scotland. Later called the ‘Red Trek’ or ‘Baltic Cruise’, they headed for the Gulf of Finland: an ‘undeclared’ war on Bolshevism. On ‘Red’ Clydeside in 1917, at John Brown’s yard where Wakeful was built, the workers were on strike.
In archived sailors’ journals and cabinet war diaries, Robinson found accounts of Wakeful’s voyage through mine-infested waters and photographs of her father as a young sailor. By December 1918, Wakeful was moored at Tallinn. The crew were cold, tired, hungry and frightened, but threatened with bombardment, they played and sang.
This screening has been curated by Dr Laura Guy and Wakeful was produced with support from: Arts Council England, The David Family Foundation and Middlesex University. With thanks to IWM and NMM for archive material and to everyone involved, especially: Limpe Fuchs, Breathing Space, Rachel Garfield and Karina Townsend.
“Anne Robinson’s piece, produced in two distinct iterations both as an essay film and an installation, draws on her father’s experience to expose the way that war and peace intersect through ongoing military interventions – there is no ‘end of the war’ since, as Clausewitz famously had it, war is merely the continuation of politics. As such, Robinson’s work also comments on the contemporary relevance and connection between the Baltic region and world politics. In constructing an artwork that is structured around the excesses of heterogeneity – documentary footage, diary reports, personal reminiscence combined with actors standing in as symbolic figures to the passage of time – Wakeful offers an embodied experience of history that leaks through from the past to resurrect those events and make them vivid; to position and contextualise while sublimating the truth to an experiential understanding and visibility of an event that is disappearing from view.”
From catalogue essay: in the leak of another time, Anne Robinson’s ‘Wakeful’ by Prof. Rachel Garfield of University of Reading and with thanks to APT Gallery, London
Anne Robinson is an artist who lives and works in east London. Her experimental practice is concerned with the perception and politics of time passing and encompasses painting, film and sound. She holds a practice-led PhD on painting, film and time and currently teaches at Middlesex University. Recent works include: Common Birds (2017), Inside Out Blues (2013) and Thrashing in the Static (2014) She has exhibited nationally and internationally, published in journals and has a longstanding engagement with collective practice, including See Red Women’s Workshop. Curatorial projects include: Over Time (2014) and Supernormal festival (2012-16).
This section: Cinema, Free Events
- Online launch of new CPO themed short film ‘Something To Lose’
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Jazz on a Summer’s Day review by Pat Byrne
- Learn How To Use Moving Image Archive, National Library of Scotland
- National Library of Scotland Film Friday
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion