Candlelight Spoken Word Open Mic
The Old Toll Bar, 1 -3 Paisley road west G51 1LF
Thursdays 7.30 p.m. – 10 p.m. kicks off 30 January, 2020
Poets and Spoken Word artists – Welcome! Join the Speakeasy.
Candlelight Open Mic provides a cosy atmosphere, in a private bar, where new poets can start out and experienced poets can test new material.
Sign up for the open mic in advance by messaging Candlelight Open Mic at The Old Toll. A small number of sign-up slots will always be made available on the night for those who are not able to commit in advance!
Settle into the soft light
Let the words wash over you
Share what you are comfortable with
Revel in the good company
The Old Toll Bar Glasgow, a refurbished Gin Palace dating back to the 1870’s, is the most beautiful bar in the city. It’s the local everyone dreams of, and the perfect spot to share stories and good company. Come along to the Candlelight Open Mic to enjoy the poetry and the atmosphere in The Old Toll’s private event space – complete with its own bar, bathrooms and smoking area.
Hosted by Ross McFarlane Poetry – Poet, performer and theatremaker from Glasgow. Co-founder and director of In The Works spoken word theatre company. Multiple slam winner, host of many nights, and Glasgow’s best support act for poetry and music!
Find the bar on Paisley Road West:
a 10 minute walk from the Squinty Bridge
a 10 minute walk from Shields Road Subway stop
a 10 minute walk from Kinning Park Subway stop
a 15 minute bus from the City Centre No. 38 McGills Bus to Paisley
a 15 minute bus from the City Centre No. 10 First Bus to Pollok
Accessibility: Unfortunately, the event space is down a flight of stairs, and there is no lift access. During performances, the space will often be low lit, however this can be easily adjusted – please get in touch with if you wish to come along and this is an issue for you. Microphones use will be enforced for performances (unless under exceptional circumstances). Please contact Ross or The Old Toll if you have any worries about accessibility
Candlelight Open Mic is a place where everyone is welcome – unless you choose to act like a dick or in a way that makes others unwelcome. In this case, you are not welcome. This means: no sexism, no racism, no transphobia, no homophobia, no classism will be tolerated. No punching down, in or out of poems.
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers