TheCabinet of Dr Caligari, Scottish Opera Connect Company Woodside Halls 9 and 10 April 2016
Woodside Halls, 36 Glenfarg Street, Glasgow G20 7QE
9/10 April, 2016
Roll up, roll up! Scottish Opera’s Connect Company – young singers and players aged between 14 and 21 – invite you to join them at the carnival. But with danger looming on the horizon, we can’t guarantee a safe trip.
Dr Caligari is a charismatic carnival entertainer who uses a mysterious cabinet to lure in his unsuspecting audiences. Intrigued, friends Francis, Jane and Ellen watch the showman as he reveals the secret of the cabinet. Tragedy soon follows as the trio struggle to avoid their fate – murder, mayhem and descent into madness await.
Based on the 1920s German horror film Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari, this darkly gothic production transports the action to Glasgow at the turn of the century. From Glasgow Green to Gartloch Asylum, this is a dark and twisted story where both friends and minds may be lost.
Specially-written by composer Karen MacIver and librettist Allan Dunn for the Connect Company, the young singers are joined on stage by professionals including former Scottish Opera Emerging Artists Andrew McTaggart and Sarah Power.
Please note: doors will open 15 minutes before the performance starts and strictly no latecomers will be admitted.
Sat 9 Apr 3.30pm•Sat 9 Apr 7.00pm•Sun 10 Apr 3.30pm
Sun 10 Apr 7.00pm
Running time 1 hr 10 mins approximately
BOX OFFICE: Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Renfrew Street
Box Office 0141 332 5057
- Sammy’s Lockdown #5
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Scottish Writers Showcase 2 Creative Conversations
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- SHA Virtual Kiltwalk Weekend 2020
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu