The University of Glasgow: Friendly Shelves
The first full, and gloriously illustrated, account of the birth and growth of The University of Glasgow Library from the Renaissance and Reformation; through the emerging Enlightenment; Industrial Expansion & Migration; War, Peace & Opportunity and on to New Horizons is being publicly launched at the University in mid June.
This new book of 288 pages on art paper with over 250 illustrations of many of its unique and distinctive holdings of international status, is being sold in hardback, softback and e-book editions.
Published by The Friends of Glasgow University Library in association with the University Library, all proceeds are being donated to support the Library`s programme of public engagement.
As the book flyer states …..
“The Library stands high, physically on University Avenue, and on the shoulders of those who have gone before, in the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake and for the benefit of all. The Digital Revolution, equal to the fifteenth-century invention of the printing press which democratised learning, is enabling the Library to unlock its many treasures and make them more widely available here and overseas.
Read all about it, and enjoy the visual delights!”
There is an introductory Special Pre-Publication Offer open until 12th June with savings per copy of up to 25% by ordering now either in person at the University Gift Shop (open seven days a week) or by phoning the shop at 0141 330 5511 or online through www.friendsofgul.org which is the new website of the Friends.
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- National Theatre Live Events GFT
- Singing with Beth, Live on Facebook
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT