The Strathclyde Writing Spring Showcase
Tuesday 17 May, 2022 at 7 p.m.
The Strathclyde Writing Spring Showcase – featuring Booker-prize shortlisted author FIONA MOZLEY, alongside Strathclyde students.
FIONA MOZLEY, author of Hot Stew (2021) and the Booker-shortlisted Elmet (2017) – Reading plus Q & A. Also Strathclyde PhD students SINDHU RAJASEKARAN, MIRRI GLASSON-DARLING, RUTH EJ BOOTH & ANDREW MCLEAN, and MLitt students CHARLOTTE MCDONALD & SHEENA OO, who will read their work.
FIONA MOZLEY is the author of two novels, Elmet and Hot Stew, and several short stories. She is the winner of a Somerset Maugham Award and the Polari Prize, has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize, the Ondaatje Prize, and the Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year Award, and longlisted for the Dylan Thomas Prize, the Women’s Prize, and the Dublin International Prize. Her writing has appeared in The Guardian, The Independent, The Financial Times, The New Statesman, and British Vogue. She grew up in York and lives in Edinburgh.
HOT STEW :
L’Escargot, darting down quiet back alleyways, skirting dumpsters and drunks, emerging on to raucous main roads, fizzing with energy and riotous with life.
On a corner sits a large townhouse, the same as all its neighbours. But this building hosts a teeming throng of rich and poor, full from the basement right up to the roof terrace. Precious and Tabitha call the top floors their home but it’s under threat; its billionaire-owner Agatha wants to kick the women out to build expensive restaurants and luxury flats. Men like Robert, who visit the brothel, will have to go elsewhere. Those like Cheryl, who sleep in the basement, will have to find somewhere else to hide after dark. But the women won’t go quietly. Soho is their turf and they are ready for a fight
Hot Stew , ‘a dazzling Dickensian tale’ (The Guardian), is an insightful and ambitious novel about property, ownership, wealth and inheritance.
Tickets are limited, so please book soon!
Free Event – Register at EventBrite
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- Alasdair Gray’s Lanark: A World Made on Paper – The Hunterian
- Journey from Jamaica iBrina – Merchant City Festival
- No Evictions Glasgow Open Meeting
- Restricted Code, The Glad Cafe
- Chris McGlade: Forgiveness- Websters Theatre
- Pippin The Musical at Websters
- Luzzu at GFT
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT
- Take 2: 101 Dalmatians
- Dr Who and The Daleks & Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. GFT
- Fayi Dayi at GFT
- Moon, 66 Questions at GFT
- Visible Cinema: Encounters Pride Shorts
- Say Anything at GFT
- Elvis at GFT
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar
- Letters of Hope, Milk Cafe, Refugee Festival
- The Voyage Out: The Travel Writing Workshop with Linda Jackson
- Folk Film Gathering 2022