The Glasgow Mela 2019
Kelvingrove Park Noon till Late. (12 pm – 10 pm)
This year the new producers of Glasgow Mela for 2019, Scottish-Asian Creative Artists’ Network, are taking the event in a new direction – exploring the Scottish-Asian and British-Asian experience, and transforming the Mela into a platform for activism through arts and culture, to nurture and grow local artists.
This event is completely free and suitable for the whole family.
This year’s programme focuses on South Indian language and songs featuring everything from anti-caste protest songs from local noise-rocker Kapil Seshasayee to Scotland’s very first Sufi Qawali group, to Deepa Nayar Rasiya, who has been described as a “pioneering and innovative composer with a deeply soul-stirring vocal style”.
For the first time, Glasgow Mela will also host an artist-in-residence, Jamila Brown. Jamila will be at Kelvingrove Park all day, inviting all Mela-goers to help her make a new piece of work. In this year of change, you’ll also find comedians, poets and a ceilidh at Kelvingrove Park on June 23rd.
As well as the performances across the three stages, there will be a huge selection of world food, clothing and goods stalls and entertainment as Glasgow celebrates its rich cultural heritage and all its communities.
Find out who is performing and plan your day: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/arts-music-and-cultural-venues/glasgow-mela
This section: Community event, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Glasgow Wood Recycling, October Sale
- Cancer Support Scotland Christmas Fayre 2019
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- Mòd 2019 CCA
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Mòd 2019: Gaelic Conversation Café Public CCA
- Black History Month Street Level Photography Temporary Hoarding Magazine and Anti-Racist Graphics
- CINE[STHESIA]: Filmichean Gàidhlig/ Gaelic Films Ghlaschu Mod 2019
- Art For Heart’s Sake, Art Fundraiser at The Store 2019
- Planting Day at North Kelvin Meadow – Come Along and Volunteer
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2019 Announces Full Programme
- Torchlight Parade St Andrew’s Day, WEF
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Great Western Festival of Musical Exploration and Discovery
- Sorry We Missed You + Q & A Paul Lavery