The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
Events run 17 – 21 September, 2019
The Glasgow Guild, 265 Renfrew Street, G3 6TT
Lauren Dyer Amazeen – The Kitchen and the New York avant garde scene
Tuesday 17 September 2019, 7pm
The former Chair of CCA Glasgow & Director of The Kitchen, NY in the 1990s gives a talk on the avant garde scene in New York in the late 60s and 70s centering around The Kitchen. New York Dolls, Patti Smith, Cindy Sherman, Laurie Anderson, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Philip Glass and many others all came out of this scene. Featuring imagery and archive video footage uncovered during Lauren’s research into this seminal and inspiring era.
Steph Scholten – Moving 1.5 million museum objects
Wednesday 18 September 2019, 7pm
Since late 2017, The Hunterian has been moving all of its collections into its new Collections Study Centre in Kelvin Hall. This talk from the Director of The Hunterian gives an insight into this huge job that requires lots of specialist care of paintings, stuffed birds, minerals, and many other fragile and delicate objects.
Professor Chris Platt – The influence of Mackintosh on the Bauhaus and Van de Velde
Thursday 19 September 2019, 7pm
This talk from the former Director of Mackintosh School of Architecture explores the architecture of the two key homes of the Bauhaus School; namely the Henry van de Velde-designed building in Weimar and the subsequent Walter Gropius-designed building in Dessau. It traces the influence of Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s Glasgow School of Art building on this particular development of modern architecture.
Sam Ainsley – Founding the Glasgow School of Art MFA and its legacy
Niall Murphy – Illustrated talk and discussion on Glasgow’s buildings at risk
Saturday 21 September 2019, 7.30pm
Sam Ainsley is an artist and was Head of the Master of Fine Art (MFA) programme at the Glasgow School of Art from 1991-2005. The ‘Godmother of the Glasgow Art Scene’, on the MFA programme at the Glasgow School of Art, which she founded, taking over the derelict Garnethill Girls’ High School school leading to the internationally acclaimed art and music scene in the 90s and beyond.
Followed by an illustrated photography show and open discussion on the buildings in The Buildings at Risk Register, Glasgow from Niall Murphy, the Depute Director of Glasgow City Heritage Trust.
No tickets required.
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- Meeting Gorbachev GFT
- CineCard Preview: The Report GFT
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Sorry We Missed You, GFT