The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
21 September, 2020, 7. 00 p.m. – 8.30 p.m.
The Past, The Pandemic & Preparing for our Future. A Film Discussion and Local Food System Panel
Hosted by Woodlands Community
About the Film
‘The Glasgow Diet” is about the evolution of food in the city over the last fifty years. Interviews with six people provide personal stories and the social history of the transition from the industrial era, through its post industrial decline to its present day revival. Included are Greencity, Wholefoods and Locavore which have played an important role in bringing about a more positive food system in the city, and deals with issues relevant to Edinburgh and elsewhere.
By capturing the food stories of people from various stages in the food system, Robinson’s film shines a light on the sometimes inspiring and sometimes troubling aspects of where our food comes from. By hearing from growers, food producers and restaurant chefs to community food initiative starters and even people who simply remember a time when things were different in their youth, Robinson highlights how our food system has changed for better and for worse.
Food System Panel Discussion
On 21st Sept, the Woodlands Community’s Climate Action Project will be hosting a film discussion panel with local food system experts including; Abi Mordin of the Glasgow Food Policy Partnership, Babs Macgregor from Greencity Wholefoods, Rueben Chesters from Locavore and filmmaker Zev Robinson.
With the film as a launching point they will be discussing the challenges to the food system exposed by COVID-19 and the ways in which our food system is vulnerable to similar threats through the effects of climate change.
£5 minimum donation is asked to join this event. Proceeds will go towards funding Woodland Community’s Neighbourhood Meal Service a free frozen meal and grocery delivery service started in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in partnership with Queen’s Cross Housing Association, Maryhill Central Halls, Bike for Good & Flourish House.
You will receive details to access the film the week leading up to the event. Please watch the film beforehand as it will not be screened as part of the event on the 21st September. You will also receive the link for the Food System discussion event a few days before the event.
This section: Cinema, Community event, Woodlands Community Garden, Zoom and online events
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari