The Games We Play Exhibition Scotland Street School
Scotland Street School
Extended until Sunday 11 January 2015.
The Games We Play is a chance to explore games and play from across different cultures and time periods. From the Papua New Guinea story of Pikinini Wantaim Bubu, which shows how children learn to be adults from their grandparents, through strategy games like chess and mahjong to the physical fun of street games such as kite flying and cricket, this exhibition looks at the importance of games in all our lives.
Archaeological evidence shows that games predate the existence of writing, so people right across the world having been playing games for a very long time. More than just pure fun and enjoyment, playing also gives children skills for life, develops their imaginations and pits adult against adult in battles of skill, courage and endurance.
So come along to this beautiful new exhibition, to discover toys from across the globe, remember your childhood fun and even learn a new game!
Scotland Street School, 225 Scotland St, Glasgow G5 8QB
Scotland Street School Museum is a museum of school education in Glasgow, Scotland, in the district of Tradeston. It is located in a former school built by Charles Rennie Mackintosh between 1903 and 1906.
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Kids and young people
- Christmas Appeal Benefit – The Primevals
- Halloween 2021 – Spooktacular Walk, Glasgow Green
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- African Wall Art and Stories by Lantern Light
- Black History Month, Being A Black Woman in Society Today
- COP26 Glasgow Trade Union and Workers Bloc
- Nature Stories with Emily Dodd, The Children’s Wood
- Black Histories on Film at Glasgow Film Theatre 2021
- BFI London Film Festival 2021 at Glasgow Film Theatre
- French Film Festival UK 2021
- Artie’s Halloween Singing Kettle at Cottiers
- October Break Free Food Giveaway Glasgow’s East End
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Tanna Slamma Ding Dong, Tannahill Arts Festival
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- The Children’s Wood – Nicola Davies with Readings and Screening
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- West End Festival 2021
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll