The East End Social with The Cameron Brothers, The Mick West Trio, The Duncan McCrone Band, Barrowland, 3 May
McGinn meets Seeger and McColl: An Evening with the Cameron Brothers at The East End Social
The Mick West Trio, The Duncan McCrone Band
03/05/14, Barrowland Ballroom
Barrowland, 244 Gallowgate, Glasgow, G4 0TT
Doors: 20:00 // Tickets: £12 (plus booking fee)
The East End Social is proud to host a night of folk music in the Barrowlands Ballroom celebrating – amongst others – the legacy of Calton’s famous son Matt McGinn. Featuring The Cameron Brothers’ acclaimed show ‘McGinn Meets Seeger and McColl’, you’re invited to an intimate show highlighting the songwriting of Matt, Pete Seeger and Ewan McColl.
Johnny and Duncan Cameron are well known within the Scottish music scene both as successful performers and for their Riverside Music Complex which they’ve run for 25 years. On Saturday 3rd May Johnny and Duncan, with fellow musicians Ian Rennie, Gus Simpson and Raymond McGuire will return to their hometown after successfully touring this highly acclaimed show.
Pete Seeger first met McGinn on a visit to Glasgow after MacColl, who was married to Pete’s sister Peggy, played him a tape of Matt’s Songs. On his departure Seeger said he just wanted to keep Matt McGinn singing. When Pete passed away in January this year, in celebration of the singer’s life and contribution to humanity, the band dedicated their sell-out performance at Celtic Connections 2014 to his memory, .
With even more great songs and tunes, you are invited to celebrate the music of Matt McGinn, Pete Seeger and Ewan MacColl – three artists whose social commentary in song and lyric changed the face of contemporary folk music.
Mick West Trio
Mick West is a powerhouse of traditional song with a catalogue of highly acclaimed recordings to his name. His latest five star offering “A Scots Chorus” has been cited as “an absolute triumph”.
He has one of Scotland’s most distinctive voices, his rich, expressive singing is complimented guitar by the talented Frank McLaughlin on guitar plus the fiddle maestro Stewart Hardy.
“One of Scotland’s most lyrical folksong exponents”
Sue Wilson (Scotland on Sunday)
The Duncan McCrone Band
Duncan McCrone is a Glasgow-born singer-songwriter with over thirty-five years experience of live performance both solo and with a variety of traditional bands, including 18 years with legendary Scottish folk outfit The Clydesiders. His band comprises Duncan on vocals and guitar, co-writer Cy Jack on vocals, bass and keyboards and renowned guitarist and vocalist Jim Yule.
Their songs are mostly story-based, focusing on life, a love of Glasgow and the West of Scotland. They also play a selection of folk covers, traditional songs. Entertaining stories and banter make them one of the most enjoyable and engaging acts around. www.duncanmccrone.com
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow