The Drift at The Tron
NATIONAL THEATRE OF SCOTLAND PRESENTS
THE DRIFT – Black History Month
11th – 12th October 2019
‘My sweet forgetful Caledonia’
The Drift is a journey through history, through Scottishness, through belonging, and through grief.
An autobiographical, poetic spoken word show, The Drift sees writer and performer Hannah Lavery exploring her legacy of being “mixed” in Scotland left to her by her father and mother and their respective journeys. A beautiful story of love, loss and bereavement, as well as a searingly honest portrayal of growing up mixed-race in Scotland, The Drift challenges us to see Scottish history and our public memory in a different light.
The Drift was originally performed and developed as part of the Flint and Pitch New Voices programme (produced & programmed by Jenny Lindsay), before being further developed as part of the Workers Theatre Megaphone Residency and finally through the National Theatre of Scotland’s Just Start Here Festival and Engine Room programme – all under the mentorship and direction of Jenny Lindsay. It was last developed and performed as a preview at the Tron Theatre as part of Black History Month 2018 under the direction of Eve Nicol.
Written & performed by Hannah Lavery
Directed by Eve Nicol
Design by Kirsty Currie
Tour supported by Flint & Pitch and The Workers Theatre with the Coalition of Racial Equality and Rights as part of Black History Month 2019.
Note: Contains adult themes and strong language.
Image: Hazel Mirsepasi
Tron Theatre Ltd., 63 Trongate, Glasgow, G1 5HB
- Document Human Rights Film Festival 2019
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Monos at GFT
- Cinemasters at GFT: Quentin Tarantino
- Connect, GFT
- The Last Black Man in San Francisco GFT
- Chained for Life, GFT
- DocKlub Glasgow, CCA
- The Irishman GFT
- Last Night I Saw You Smiling, GFT
- Sofia, GFT
- Mandy, Halloween at GFT
- Branagh Theatre Live – A Winter’s Tale GFT
- Paisley Halloween Festival 2019
- Ghost Stories from Around the World, Britannia Panopticon
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow