The Drift at The Tron
NATIONAL THEATRE OF SCOTLAND PRESENTS
THE DRIFT – Black History Month
11th – 12th October 2019
‘My sweet forgetful Caledonia’
The Drift is a journey through history, through Scottishness, through belonging, and through grief.
An autobiographical, poetic spoken word show, The Drift sees writer and performer Hannah Lavery exploring her legacy of being “mixed” in Scotland left to her by her father and mother and their respective journeys. A beautiful story of love, loss and bereavement, as well as a searingly honest portrayal of growing up mixed-race in Scotland, The Drift challenges us to see Scottish history and our public memory in a different light.
The Drift was originally performed and developed as part of the Flint and Pitch New Voices programme (produced & programmed by Jenny Lindsay), before being further developed as part of the Workers Theatre Megaphone Residency and finally through the National Theatre of Scotland’s Just Start Here Festival and Engine Room programme – all under the mentorship and direction of Jenny Lindsay. It was last developed and performed as a preview at the Tron Theatre as part of Black History Month 2018 under the direction of Eve Nicol.
Written & performed by Hannah Lavery
Directed by Eve Nicol
Design by Kirsty Currie
Tour supported by Flint & Pitch and The Workers Theatre with the Coalition of Racial Equality and Rights as part of Black History Month 2019.
Note: Contains adult themes and strong language.
Image: Hazel Mirsepasi
Tron Theatre Ltd., 63 Trongate, Glasgow, G1 5HB
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day
- BFI London Film Festival 2020 at GFT
- Big Wednesday Night Quiz QMU