Stone Carving Workshop Glasgow
Saturday 2nd & 9th November 2019 10am-4pm
Glasgow City Heritage Trust
54 Bell Street, G1 1LQ
Carved stone decoration defines Glasgow’s style. Look up anywhere in the city centre, and you will be greeted by facades and details that are an enduring testament to the craftsmanship and skill of thousands of stonemasons over two centuries. Carving in stone is both an art and a craft, and has for millennia defined much of the architecture we value.
This 2-day stone carving course, offered over two consecutive Saturdays, will take participants in-depth into the techniques of cutting and carving relief into limestone. Working from basic techniques through to the completion of your own piece, you will use the tools of the trade to cut lines, letters, curves, and forms.
The sessions will run 10am-4pm with a break for lunch. Lunch, tea/coffee, and refreshment will be provided, along with all protective equipment and materials. Participants are advised to wear close-toed shoes.
Simon Burns-Cox is an award-winning sculptor and stone carver based in Edinburgh. He is an Associate Member of the Letter Exchange and a Licenciate Member of the Society of Designer Craftsmen, London. In addition to sculpting on commission, he runs training courses for stone carvers of all levels.
£149 for two-day course, all equipment and materials, and lunch and refreshment.
This section: Classes and Workshops, Courses
- Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- 48 Hours Film Project Part 1 GFT
- Mòd 2019: Gaelic Conversation Café Public CCA
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA
- Careers in Film – Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Stone Carving Workshop Glasgow
- Languages Short Courses Open Evening, University of Glasgow
- Love to Learn Open Day Glasgow Clyde College
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- University of Glasgow Short Courses Open Evening 2019
- Gypsy Music Short Course
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- Seeds of Thought – Creative Writing