Southside Film presents: I, Daniel Blake at The Glad Cafe, Wednesday 29th March, 2017
Wednesday 29 March, 2017
Southside Film presents a free screening of the award winning I, Daniel Blake with donations to the Glasgow South East Food Bank encouraged. Daniel Blake (Dave Johns) has worked as a joiner for most of his life in Newcastle. For the first time in his life he needs help from the State. He meets Katie (Hayley Squires), a single mother of two who’s only chance to escape a one room homeless hostel is to accept a flat in a city she doesn’t know – 300 miles away. Daniel and Katie find themselves in a no-man’s land, caught on the barbed wire of welfare bureaucracy as played out against the rhetoric of ‘striver and skiver’ in modern-day Britain.
The film will be preceded by a short introduction by speakers from the People’s Assembly (Scotland) and followed by a Q&A on the impact of the benefits cuts and a discussion on how to protest the austerity measures of the UK government.
Please note: This is a free event and entry is on a first come, first served basis.
The Glad Cafe, 1006A Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow G41 2HG
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- West End Festival 2021
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Siobhan Miller at Websters Theatre
- Bill W and Dr Bob, Websters Theatre
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN