30th Anniversary re-release of Alex Cox’s SID & NANCY
30th Anniversary re-release of Alex Cox’s
SID & NANCY
New restoration supervised by cinematographer
In cinemas on 5th August 2016
available on EST on 22nd August
and new special edition DVD/Blu-ray available to buy from 29th August 2016
DIRECTED BY ALEX COX
SCREENPLAY BY ALEX COX and ABBE WOOL
GARY OLDMAN, ANDREW SCHOFIELD, CHLOE WEBB, DAVID HAYMAN
and featuring COURTNEY LOVE, IGGY POP and KATHY BURKE
On 4th June 1976, The Sex Pistols performed a legendary gig at the Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall that inspired a generation to reject the established principles of making popular music and performance marking the beginning of a seismic shift in youth culture.
To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of this event and the beginning of ‘Punk’, STUDIOCANAL in association with the Independent Cinema Office will be releasing the restored SID & NANCY at cinemas from 5th August marking its own 30th Anniversary, followed by EST release on 22nd August and a new special-edition DVD/Blu-ray released on 29th August on the Vintage Classics label from STUDIOCANAL.
Arguably one of the most iconic figures of the Punk-era was Sid Vicious. He joined The Sex Pistols in 1977 (replacing Glenn Matlock as bass guitarist) and in his performances and personal life he embodied the hardcore punk-personality taking the vulgarity and nihilism inherent in the music to its ultimate extreme.
In 1986, Alex Cox (Repo Man, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas) co-wrote and directed SID & NANCY, a vivid and shocking portrait of the mutually destructive drug-and-sex filled relationship between Sid Vicious and his American girlfriend Nancy Spungen. The film embodied the noise and fury of Punk while at the same time revealing the intimate and heart-breaking relationship between two lost souls stuck in a situation that they couldn’t handle.
It’s 1977 and The Sex Pistols have taken the music world by storm with lead singer Johnny Rotten (Andrew Schofield) and bass guitarist Sid Vicious (Gary Oldman – Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy, The Dark Knight) enjoying all the spoils that fame and money have to offer. Vicious embarks on a relationship with an American groupie – Nancy (Chloe Webb – Shameless) – who has come to London to pursue him but the couple’s increasing drug use frays relationships with Johnny and the rest of the band.
With Nancy in tow, The Sex Pistols embark on a chaotic tour US tour which ends in disaster with the band breaking up. Vicious attempts to start a solo career, with Nancy as his manager, but by now both are dangerously addicted to heroin. The two continue in a downward, destructive spiral until, in October 1978 at the Chelsea Hotel in New York, Nancy is found stabbed with Sid lying prostrate at her side. Arrested and accused of murder, he dies of an overdose before his trial.
With an original soundtrack featuring punk and post-punk artists such as Joe Strummer (The Clash), and The Pogues, SID & NANCY is one of the defining films of the punk era and is available to buy for the first time as a UK Blu-ray from 29th August (also on DVD). The 30th Anniversary Vintage Classics DVD/Blu-ray special edition of SID & NANCY features the restored film with colour correction approved by cinematographer Roger Deakins (Hail Caesar, Sicario, No Country For Old Men, The Shawshank Redemption) and a host of new special features.
Special Features on the DVD and Blu-ray Special Editions:
• New interview with Cinematographer Roger Deakins
• New interview with Director Alex Cox
• New interview with Don Letts (Director, DJ and presenter of ‘Punk on Film’ at the BFI: Southbank)
• Trailer (tbc)
Blu-Ray Tech Specs: TBC
STUDIOCANAL is a subsidiary of the CANAL+ Group. It is one of Europe’s leading companies in the market for co-production, acquisition, distribution and sale of international feature films. STUDIOCANAL is the only studio operating simultaneously in the three main European territories: France, the United Kingdom, Germany and Australia and New Zealand. The company distributes a total of more than 50 films a year. Additionally, STUDIOCANAL owns one of the most important libraries in the world, with more than 5,000 international titles.
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community