Scottish Writers:The Burrell Story: History as Poetry, with Sally Evans, CCA, 1 August, 2017
CCA, 350Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tuesday, 1 August, 2017 – 7 p.m/.
The Burrell Story: History as Poetry, with Sally Evans
New book: A Burrell Tapestry and a Marion Burrell Sampler (diehard 2017)
Sally Evans poems on the story of William Burrell and his daughter took several years to complete, and that was only the research. Having visited the Burrell Collection often and researching the history of the Burrell family and their shipping line, she wrote the first section of the poems in much the way they now appear and published them as a pamphlet in 2011. She realised there was next to no information to be found on the Burrells’ daughter Marion (1905-1992), and this part of the story remained a puzzle to her until 2014, when S.M.O Stephen, Marion’s god-daughter and Burrell family friend, published her biography Collector’s Daughter. This revealed the hitherto unpublicised dysfunctionality at the heart of the Burrell family life. This new information filled out the mystery Sally had identified, and the result is her book of poems reflecting both the main Burrell story and Marion’s extraordinary life.
Sally will consider how research affects poetry; how poetry can be based on fact, and how accuracy and research can strengthen poetic responses to a story; how writing in different personas can show perspectives of a complex story and a real story can be brought to life by poetic imagination, working with accuracy and probability in a similar way to historical fiction.
Tickets: £6/(£3) Concessions, Free for SWC Members
Sally is the Editor: Poetry Scotland Broadsheet, Scots Language Centre website, Keep Poems Alive blogzine, The Poetry Scotland Daily, she also hosts Callander Poetry Weekend. For more information: www.desktopsally.com.
- Volunteer Led Bike Ride
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- West End Festival 2021
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Glasgow’s Golden Generation – October Bunjee Jump
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021