Scottish Refugee Council The Glasgow Girls: Ten Years On Sun 14 June 2015 CCA
Scottish Refugee Council
The Glasgow Girls: Ten Years On
Sun 14 June 2015
5pm, Free but ticketed, Donations of £5 to Scottish Refugee Council welcome, Cinema
Tickets via Eventbrite.
Ten years on since five remarkable teenage friends, Amal (from Somalia), Roza (a Kurd, from Iraq), Ewelina (a Roma gypsy from Poland), Emma (a local Scot) and Agnesa (a Roma gypsy from Kosovo), started their award-winning campaign to the Home Office to stop the forced detention and deportation of asylum families whose children are well settled and integrated into Scottish life, we take a look at what the girls have achieved and what’s next for their campaign.
The event features two BBC documentaries following their extraordinary story: Tales from the Edge: The Glasgow Girls (BBC, Lindsay Hill, UK, 2005, 30mins) & The Children Who Disappear (BBC, Lindsay Hill, UK, 2006, 30mins).
The films are followed by a panel discussion with the Glasgow Girls and songs from the cast of National Theatre of Scotland and Cora Bissett’s innovative musical theatre production The Glasgow Girls (2012).
Part of Refugee Festival Scotland (3 – 21 June) an annual celebration of the contribution refugees make to life in Scotland and the welcome offered by local people.
Coordinated by Scottish Refugee Council, the festival is central to our work in helping refugees rebuild their lives and raising awareness of refugee experiences. www.refugeefestivalscotland.co.uk
Donations of £5 to Scottish Refugee Council’s work to support refugees in Scotland will be welcomed on the door.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Cinema
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Mòd 2019 Gaelic Film Screenings: A taste of BBC Alba – Na Millenni-Gaels CCA
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- The Irishman GFT
- Lost Lives plus Q & A
- Malcolm X 35 mm GFT
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Preview: Pink Wall with Q & A
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Hitsville The Making of Motown Black History Month Glasgow
- Branagh Theatre Live – A Winter’s Tale GFT
- Cinemasters at GFT: Quentin Tarantino
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA