RGI Annual Exhibition Posters, RGI Gallery 5 – 26 April 2014
5 – 26 April 2014
Our main display this month offers a selection of RGI Annual Exhibition posters covering a twenty year period from the 1980’s onwards.
They feature the works of such diverse artists as Duncan F Shanks, Bet Low, Philip Reeves, John Houston, Elizabeth Blackadder and David Donaldson.
The first RGI exhibition was held 1861 in the Corporation Galleries – now the McLellan Galleries – in Sauchiehall Street, attracting tens of thousands of visitors in those early years. The McLellan Galleries were home to the RGI’s annual exhibitions for most of its history until closed by the City Council in 2002. Declared ‘surplus to requirements’ by Glasgow Life in 2007, they were occupied temporarily by the Glasgow School of Art.
The RGI’s campaign to revive the fortunes of these magnificent, purpose-built Galleries achieved the return of our 152nd Annual Exhibition there last November. And such was the volume of interest generated by our initiative that the City Council is now hopeful of a more secure future for the Galleries, subject to the outcome of an Executive Meeting in May.
We anticipate our 153rd Annual Exhibition being held there in November this year and all artists at whatever stage in their career are invited to submit works to be considered for this the biggest annual open exhibition in Scotland. (See website for details in due course.)
The RGI welcomes works in painting, sculpture, fine art photography, printmaking, drawing, mixed media as well as architectural drawing and models.
The Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts is an independent charitable organisation promoting and encouraging Scotland’s contemporary art and artists. It was formed by a group of ten prominent Glasgow businessmen and artists who first met on 29 May 1861 to establish annual exhibitions of the work of living artists.
We also have a various works by current RGI artists and artists who have links with the RGI through either exhibiting at the Kelly Gallery or the Annual Exhibition including Robin Leishman, Ruth Nicol, John Inglis PRSW RGI HAWI and Gregor Smith RSW.
As well as the artwork on show, please feel free to come in and browse our selection of books and artist catalogues
RGI Kelly Gallery
118 Douglas Street,
Glasgow G2 4ET
Tel: 0141 248 6386
Fax: 0141 221 0417
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
- The Sea of Paperwork Exhibition – Maryhill Integration Network
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- George Wylie Centenary Exhibition
- Glasgow Print Studio – Members’ Christmas Show 2021
- Art for Africa in Memory of Rony Bridges
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Christmas Commissions, Exhibition and Gifts Kelvin Art Studio & Gallery
- Palindrome: Cohen – Art Painting & Photography Exhibition
- Caroline Miller Art – Open Day
- Artivismo Pintando Murales Derribamos Muros – Digital Exhibition Launch
- The Pollution Pods – COP26 at Gartnavel
- RCC at COP26: Environmental Humanities Exhibition
- Cats Protection Jade Carrera Art Event
- Urban Potentials Exhibition Launch
- Art for Africa in memory of Rony Bridges
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove