Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
Thursday 16 November, 2021 – Online
University of Glasgow Arts
About this event
Part of the Being Human Festival 2021
How can poetry be of practical help in the climate crisis?
How can it set the tone for the contemporary debate?
How can it inform a collective response across continents?
Join a whole host of poets, readers, and interdisciplinary thinkers as they explore these urgent questions through the work of two great, international writers: Patrick Geddes and Rabindranath Tagore. Over two complementary sessions, dive into the historic relationship between Tagore, Geddes, and the leader of the 1920s Scottish Renaissance, Hugh MacDiarmid, and explore the relevance of their legacy in contemporary ecological poetry in both Scotland and India. Each session will feature a lively combination of short talks, readings, writing activities, and creative responses.
For the duration of the Being Human Festival, you are also invited to add your contributions to a crowdsourced poem inspired by ecological prompts from Geddes and Tagore’s work. Follow @UofGArts for details!
Contributors include: Debarati Bandyopadhyay; Murdo Macdonald; Arunima Bhattacharya, Sourit Bhattacharya, Nigel Leask, Bashabi Fraser, Joyce Caplan, Nandini Sen, Gerda Stevenson, Jan Webb, Marc Sherland, Leela Soma, David Manderson, Alan Riach, Charles Bruce, Louisa Gairn, Peter Mackay, Monika Zsuba, Anindya Raychaudhuri, Alexandra Campbell, Gerrie Fellows, John Purser.
Presented as part of The Dear Green Bothy, a collaborative cultural programme from the University of Glasgow’s College of Arts showcasing creative and critical responses to climate emergency.
- Kittlin at Paisley Abbey
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – First Screenings Announced
- C7 Christmas Spectacular: A Jangle Journey
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Art for Africa in Memory of Rony Bridges
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- French Film Festival UK 2021
- Havana Glasgow film Festival: El Techno – The Roof
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Christmas Appeal Benefit – The Primevals
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC