Philippe Sands with Ian Rankin: On the Trail of a Nazi Fugitive
Edinburgh Book Festival Online 2020
Tuesday 18 August, 2020 19:00 – 20:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
Philippe Sands’s much celebrated memoir East West Street, which won the 2016 Baillie Gifford Prize, expertly interwove the personal story of his ancestors in the Ukrainian city of Lviv with a professional interest in the establishment of international law in the aftermath of the Holocaust.
His superb follow-up, The Ratline, delves further into the story of Nazi brigade leader, Otto Von Wächter – a man indicted for mass murder in 1945 but who evaded capture and survived as a fugitive in the Austrian Alps for three years, before holing up in Rome under the protection of a Vatican bishop. From there he hoped to be transported along the secret ‘ratline’ to Argentina – a well-known safe passage for Nazi refugees.
For this book, Sands recruited the help of Von Wächter’s youngest son, and The Ratline is partly about an unlikely friendship that grows between them. Above all it is a compelling, unsettling account of a search for truth, told in a style that is so vivid it feels almost like a thriller. Who better then, to interview Sands today than Edinburgh’s beloved crime writer, Ian Rankin.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Part of Edinburgh Book Festival Online 2020: Ground-breaking Voices in Literature series of events.
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- Smokehead Sessions Festive Concert Livestream with Dave Arcari
- Carols in the Cloisters, University of Glasgow
- Interfaith Food Justice: Winter Networking Event
- Kittlin at Paisley Abbey