Philippe Sands with Ian Rankin: On the Trail of a Nazi Fugitive
Edinburgh Book Festival Online 2020
Tuesday 18 August, 2020 19:00 – 20:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
Philippe Sands’s much celebrated memoir East West Street, which won the 2016 Baillie Gifford Prize, expertly interwove the personal story of his ancestors in the Ukrainian city of Lviv with a professional interest in the establishment of international law in the aftermath of the Holocaust.
His superb follow-up, The Ratline, delves further into the story of Nazi brigade leader, Otto Von Wächter – a man indicted for mass murder in 1945 but who evaded capture and survived as a fugitive in the Austrian Alps for three years, before holing up in Rome under the protection of a Vatican bishop. From there he hoped to be transported along the secret ‘ratline’ to Argentina – a well-known safe passage for Nazi refugees.
For this book, Sands recruited the help of Von Wächter’s youngest son, and The Ratline is partly about an unlikely friendship that grows between them. Above all it is a compelling, unsettling account of a search for truth, told in a style that is so vivid it feels almost like a thriller. Who better then, to interview Sands today than Edinburgh’s beloved crime writer, Ian Rankin.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Part of Edinburgh Book Festival Online 2020: Ground-breaking Voices in Literature series of events.
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- CINE(STHESIA )- Last Day of the Trams
- Raw Poetry at Scottish Writers Centre
- Govanhill International Carnival and Parade
- Sea Change Film Festival 2022
- Friends of Peoples Palace & Winter Garden at Glasgow Green Fun Day
- The Rhynie Station: Grunnit Spring by Ian R. Mitchell
- Dance Along Festival: Encanto, Merchant City Festival
- Ashton Lane Stre-EAT FEST
- Curatorial Tour: Glasgow and Slavery, People’s Palace
- A Day Of Fun Inspired by John Byrne
- Bloody Scotland 2022 McIlvanney Prize Long List
- National Youth Pipe Band of Scotland