Edinburgh Book Festival Online: THE INTERNATIONAL BOOKER PRIZE EVENT
Mon 17 August, 2020 14:30 – 15:30
Michele Hutchison & Marieke Lucas Rijneveld: Reap What You Sow
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
‘Great art doesn’t just reinforce or reassure: the authors we love challenge us; they illuminate new perspectives, make us question our certainties. They discomfort us.’
From its very title, Marieke Lucas Rijneveld’s International Booker shortlisted debut, The Discomfort of Evening, does not resile from that promise. As an account of a family driven to the edge by grief, a study of where devout faith meets complicated shame, this is not like any other coming-of-age novel you’ve read. Set on a dairy farm during the 2001 foot-and-mouth disease outbreak, it is visceral and corporeal, luxuriating in bodily exploration and physical debasement. ‘We only knew about the harvest that came from the land, not about the things that grew inside ourselves,’ its young narrator declares.
An astonishingly raw and accomplished first novel, its 28-year-old Dutch author has hit the bestseller lists in their home country, and with Michele Hutchison’s translation they have shared their at times brutal, at times grotesque tale even wider, drawing discomfort and accolades in equal measure. Join Rijneveld and Hutchinson in this thought-provoking event chaired by Sophie Collins.
This is a pre-recorded event.
Part of our Ground-breaking Voices in Literature series of events.
Edinburgh Book Festival Online on Video
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- Smokehead Sessions Festive Concert Livestream with Dave Arcari
- Carols in the Cloisters, University of Glasgow
- Interfaith Food Justice: Winter Networking Event
- Kittlin at Paisley Abbey