Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet the Author review by Calum Maclean
Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet The Author
Waterstones Sauchiehall Street
Armadillos is Pauline Lynch’s debut novel, and it’s a fantastic read. It tells the story of Aggie, a fifteen year old runaway, escaping from her abusive family and encountering a variety of characters, some trustworthy, some not, and attempting to survive alone in the wide expanse of Texas.
At this meet the author event, Lynch read extracts from the novel in a very convincing Texas accent, no doubt helped by her training as an actor. The readings were engaging and well chosen, introducing new readers to characters and scenarios that compel you to read on without any huge spoilers.
After the readings there was a question and answer session that provided intriguing glimpses into the creative process, and the example of trusting your instincts in the novel’s origins as a simple writing exercise. The choice to set the story in an environment and voice wholly foreign to the author’s experience was also discussed, with another inspiring example for the audience of the freeing nature of writing from a wider perspective.
Armadillos was awarded the Sceptre Prize for Fiction and is available to buy now. I highly recommend it.
Calum Maclean – 15 July, 2016
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Calum Maclean – poet and aspiring writer, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Elvis at GFT
- Ithaka plus Q & A with John Shipton, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Dr Who and The Daleks & Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. GFT
- The Dark Knight Trilogy at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Princess, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Take 2. A Cat in Paris at GFT
- The Gold Diggers at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Kings of the Road 4 K at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Futura at Glasgow Film Theatre
- GFT: Everything Everywhere All At Once
- MACFEST: Celebrating Diverse African Cultural Heritage
- GFT – The Quiet Girl
- The Feeling Sonnets – Carcanet Book Launch
- Gathered Together, Independance at Tramway
- Seventeen Years of Southside Sessions
- TRNSMT Festival, Pre-party
- Merchant City: Surge presents Club Supreme Road Show
- Merchant City Festival: Be Bop Bairns
- Merchant City Festival: Reinventing the Bicycle
- Dance Along Festival: Encanto, Merchant City Festival