Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet the Author review by Calum Maclean
Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet The Author
Waterstones Sauchiehall Street
Armadillos is Pauline Lynch’s debut novel, and it’s a fantastic read. It tells the story of Aggie, a fifteen year old runaway, escaping from her abusive family and encountering a variety of characters, some trustworthy, some not, and attempting to survive alone in the wide expanse of Texas.
At this meet the author event, Lynch read extracts from the novel in a very convincing Texas accent, no doubt helped by her training as an actor. The readings were engaging and well chosen, introducing new readers to characters and scenarios that compel you to read on without any huge spoilers.
After the readings there was a question and answer session that provided intriguing glimpses into the creative process, and the example of trusting your instincts in the novel’s origins as a simple writing exercise. The choice to set the story in an environment and voice wholly foreign to the author’s experience was also discussed, with another inspiring example for the audience of the freeing nature of writing from a wider perspective.
Armadillos was awarded the Sceptre Prize for Fiction and is available to buy now. I highly recommend it.
Calum Maclean – 15 July, 2016
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Calum Maclean – poet and aspiring writer, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers
- Starchild Sunflower Sanctuary – Autism
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11