Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet the Author review by Calum Maclean
Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet The Author
Waterstones Sauchiehall Street
Armadillos is Pauline Lynch’s debut novel, and it’s a fantastic read. It tells the story of Aggie, a fifteen year old runaway, escaping from her abusive family and encountering a variety of characters, some trustworthy, some not, and attempting to survive alone in the wide expanse of Texas.
At this meet the author event, Lynch read extracts from the novel in a very convincing Texas accent, no doubt helped by her training as an actor. The readings were engaging and well chosen, introducing new readers to characters and scenarios that compel you to read on without any huge spoilers.
After the readings there was a question and answer session that provided intriguing glimpses into the creative process, and the example of trusting your instincts in the novel’s origins as a simple writing exercise. The choice to set the story in an environment and voice wholly foreign to the author’s experience was also discussed, with another inspiring example for the audience of the freeing nature of writing from a wider perspective.
Armadillos was awarded the Sceptre Prize for Fiction and is available to buy now. I highly recommend it.
Calum Maclean – 15 July, 2016
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow