Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet the Author review by Calum Maclean
Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet The Author
Waterstones Sauchiehall Street
Armadillos is Pauline Lynch’s debut novel, and it’s a fantastic read. It tells the story of Aggie, a fifteen year old runaway, escaping from her abusive family and encountering a variety of characters, some trustworthy, some not, and attempting to survive alone in the wide expanse of Texas.
At this meet the author event, Lynch read extracts from the novel in a very convincing Texas accent, no doubt helped by her training as an actor. The readings were engaging and well chosen, introducing new readers to characters and scenarios that compel you to read on without any huge spoilers.
After the readings there was a question and answer session that provided intriguing glimpses into the creative process, and the example of trusting your instincts in the novel’s origins as a simple writing exercise. The choice to set the story in an environment and voice wholly foreign to the author’s experience was also discussed, with another inspiring example for the audience of the freeing nature of writing from a wider perspective.
Armadillos was awarded the Sceptre Prize for Fiction and is available to buy now. I highly recommend it.
Calum Maclean – 15 July, 2016
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Calum Maclean – poet and aspiring writer, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Moving Image Archive, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Mandabi, GFT
- Ammonite, GFT
- Earwig and the Witch at GFT
- First Cow, GFT
- The Father at GFT
- Football Themed Movie Night at Glasgow Green EURO 2020 Fanzone
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
- The Hunterian: Jimmy Robert: Tobacco Flower