Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021
Opening and Closing films are among the festival premieres which will screen at 22 partner cinemas across the UK.
UK Premiere of Director Lee Isaac Chung’s Minari, starring Steven Yeun, will open the Festival on 24 February, 2021.
Minari is an award-winning autobiographical drama from director and screenwriter Lee Isaac Chung, which won the US Dramatic Grand Jury Prize and US Dramatic Audience Award at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival.
Starring Steven Yeun, best known for playing Glen in The Walking Dead, and his chilling performance in Burning, Minari follows a Korean-American family who move from the big city to a rural Arkansas farm in search of the American Dream. Jacob (Yeun) plans to grow Korean vegetables to sell to other immigrant families. His wife Monica (Yeri Han) is wary of his ambitions, and their two children, five-year-old son David (Alan Kim) and daughter Anne (Noel Kate Cho) are restless in the rural setting. The whole dynamic changes with the arrival of their sly, foul-mouthed grandmother from South Korea, Yuh-Jung Youn. Underneath the instability and challenges, Minari, named after a vegetable otherwise known as Korean Watercress or Chinese Celery, shows the undeniable resilience of a family and what really makes a home.
The festival will close on March 7 with the UK Premiere of Spring Blossom, the directorial debut from Suzanne Lindon.
Spring Blossom is an elegant tale of a bored Parisian student (Lindon), tired of her routine, who meets an older actor, Raphaël (Arnaud Valois), outside the theatre she passes each day. Curiosity gradually turns to infatuation in a tale of first love that unfolds in the streets and cafes of a sun-kissed Monmartre. Lindon expertly captures the feelings of a teenage girl on the cusp of adulthood, finding and losing herself, all set against a beautiful Parisian backdrop.
Filed under: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Glasgow Film Festival 2021, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Landscapes Without Figures, The American South West by Ian R. Mitchell
- Scottish Poetry Library: Launch Poetry London 100th edition
- Pumpkin v Turnip Lantern Event
- Opening Party – The Landing Hub Refuweegee Fundraiser
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Feeding the City – screening and panel discussion
- Dumb Instrument with Duglas T Stewart
- COP26 – The Sacred Forest at GFT
- COP26: The Plan That Came From The Bottom Up
- Black British Cinema – Routes of Representation
- I Am Belmaya GFT
- The End of Evangelion GFT
- Never Gonna Snow Again, Glasgow Film Theatre
- The French Dispatch, GFT
- Black Histories on Film at Glasgow Film Theatre 2021
- A Play, A Pie and A Pint Autumn Programme 2021
- Opening Time – A Play, A Pie and A Pint
- Talks, The Hunterian, Black History Month 2021
- Arracht – Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cats Protection Jade Carrera Art Event