Open Rights Group Scotland, The Internet’s Own Boy, CCA 2 October, 2017
Mon 2 October 2017
7.30pm, Free (unticketed), Cinema
0141 352 4900
Brought to you by Open Rights Group, The Internet’s Own Boy tells the life story of programmer, writer, political and internet activist Aaron Swartz, an internet pioneer and free speech campaigner. Aaron Swartz was involved in the development of Creative Commons, Reddit and the campaign against the Stop Online Piracy Act.
It was Swartz’s ground-breaking work in social justice and political organising combined with his aggressive approach to information access that ensnared him in a two-year legal nightmare.
The Internet’s Own Boy asks questions about academic freedom, corporate power, and the impact one person can have on society. This film is a personal story about what we lose when we are tone deaf about technology and its relationship to our civil liberties.
“Illustrated by home-video material, news footage and testimony from friends and family, the film builds up a portrait of a brilliant, driven, complex young man who’s likely to be an iconic figure in the future, a sort of digital-age Che Guevara” (The Guardian)
The screening is brought to you by the Glasgow chapter of Open Rights Group, the digital rights grassroots campaigning organisation. Following the screening, Scotland Director Matthew Rice will be available to discuss the work of Open Rights Group in more detail and give information about how to get involved in initiatives in Glasgow, Scotland and across the UK.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021