Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration, Glasgow 18 July
Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration
Glasgow – 18 July, 2014
The Lord Provost of Glasgow will announce the winning artist who will create a bust of Nelson Mandela for the City Chambers, followed by a ribbon-tying ceremony on the railings of St. George’s Tron Church in Nelson Mandela Place. Ribbons will be tied by the Deputy Lord Provost of Glasgow, the South African High Commissioner, Ministers in the South African and Scottish Governments and a member of the Mandela family.
A large screen in George Square, Glasgow will show footage of Mandela’s visit to the city in 1993. There will also be a free open air concert on Glasgow Concert Hall steps, followed by a civic reception and concert at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, headlined by Hugh Masekela. Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Midlothian and Renfrewshire libraries will be collecting books for the ACTSA Scotland/Community HEART book appeal for libraries in South Africa. In Edinburgh, the Jazz Festival opens with a concert to celebrate Mandela, with a performance by Abdullah Ibrahim.
Concert Featuring Hugh Masekela and special guests
Featuring Hugh Masekela, Complete, Adam Glasser and special guests
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG,G3 8AG
Presented as part of the South Africa Season in the UK and Festival 2014 in association with ACTSA Scotland
18 July was Nelson Mandela’s birthday and in 2009 it was declared “Nelson Mandela International Day” by the UN General Assembly in recognition of his contribution to the culture of peace and freedom.
On this first Mandela Day since his death, we celebrate Nelson Mandela with South African jazz legend, Hugh Masekela who will be joined by Complete, the fantastic new vocal sensation from Johannesburg who are playing their first-ever Scottish show, and award-winning Jazz harmonica and keyboard player Adam Glasser.
As a fan of Complete, Hugh Masekela has created a special new collaboration on three of their songs, especially for this Nelson Mandela International Day celebration. They will be joined by additional special guests from Scotland and South Africa.
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Carols in the Garden, Wilton Street, Glasgow West End
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- CinemaAttic – Catalan Film Festival CCA
- Light Up Maryhill
- G20 and The Children’s Wood Christmas Fair
- Wedding Showcase at Cottiers
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Christmas Fayre House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- Spot The Signs Renfrewshire
- The Greatest Hits, Mental Health Fundraiser
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day