Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration, Glasgow 18 July
Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration
Glasgow – 18 July, 2014
The Lord Provost of Glasgow will announce the winning artist who will create a bust of Nelson Mandela for the City Chambers, followed by a ribbon-tying ceremony on the railings of St. George’s Tron Church in Nelson Mandela Place. Ribbons will be tied by the Deputy Lord Provost of Glasgow, the South African High Commissioner, Ministers in the South African and Scottish Governments and a member of the Mandela family.
A large screen in George Square, Glasgow will show footage of Mandela’s visit to the city in 1993. There will also be a free open air concert on Glasgow Concert Hall steps, followed by a civic reception and concert at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, headlined by Hugh Masekela. Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Midlothian and Renfrewshire libraries will be collecting books for the ACTSA Scotland/Community HEART book appeal for libraries in South Africa. In Edinburgh, the Jazz Festival opens with a concert to celebrate Mandela, with a performance by Abdullah Ibrahim.
Concert Featuring Hugh Masekela and special guests
Featuring Hugh Masekela, Complete, Adam Glasser and special guests
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG,G3 8AG
Presented as part of the South Africa Season in the UK and Festival 2014 in association with ACTSA Scotland
18 July was Nelson Mandela’s birthday and in 2009 it was declared “Nelson Mandela International Day” by the UN General Assembly in recognition of his contribution to the culture of peace and freedom.
On this first Mandela Day since his death, we celebrate Nelson Mandela with South African jazz legend, Hugh Masekela who will be joined by Complete, the fantastic new vocal sensation from Johannesburg who are playing their first-ever Scottish show, and award-winning Jazz harmonica and keyboard player Adam Glasser.
As a fan of Complete, Hugh Masekela has created a special new collaboration on three of their songs, especially for this Nelson Mandela International Day celebration. They will be joined by additional special guests from Scotland and South Africa.
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- The Specialized Big Isofest
- Sofa Fest – digital entertainment
- Dave Arcari Live Concert Live Stream
- For the Love of Scotland fundraiser for Masks for Scotland
- Beatson puts fun into fundraising – online quizz
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Glasgow Diet – Documentary on History of Food fundraiser
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2020: My First Film
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Howlin’ Radio at Finsbay Glasgow West End
- Books at the Botanics
- Govanhill International Women’s Day 2020