Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór 23 January and 27 March, 2017
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór
Party like it’s 1799! Celebrate the roots of ceilidh dancing in tunes and dances from 18th-century Scotland.
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights reinvent the 18th-century ceilidh, bringing together early music group Concerto Caledonia with some of the leading lights in Scottish traditional music, including fiddlers Lauren MacColl, Marie Fielding and Shona Mooney, and viola player, dancer and singer Mairi Campbell.
The band performs completely acoustically, with a line-up of gut-strung fiddles, cello, and Scottish small-pipes, all in 18th-century set-up. The night takes the format of a modern Scottish ceilidh, with a team of callers including Mairi Campbell and Steve Player, leading a range of high-energy dances from strathspeys and reels to quicksteps and country dances. The dance steps and music are taken from the often ignored wealth of 18th-century Scottish sources, brought to life through a rich tapestry of traditions and musical styles.
Not to be missed: bring your dancing shoes and join us for a wonderful night of music and dancing!
Monday 23rd January & Monday 27th March at Òran Mór
Tickets £8/£6 available from TicketWeb
Filed under: Aye Write! Glasgow's Book Festival 2014, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Let’s Go Green Family Day Kelvin Hall
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Halloween at The Children’s Wood and Meadow 2019
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Moogety Halloween 2019
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA