Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór 23 January and 27 March, 2017
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór
Party like it’s 1799! Celebrate the roots of ceilidh dancing in tunes and dances from 18th-century Scotland.
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights reinvent the 18th-century ceilidh, bringing together early music group Concerto Caledonia with some of the leading lights in Scottish traditional music, including fiddlers Lauren MacColl, Marie Fielding and Shona Mooney, and viola player, dancer and singer Mairi Campbell.
The band performs completely acoustically, with a line-up of gut-strung fiddles, cello, and Scottish small-pipes, all in 18th-century set-up. The night takes the format of a modern Scottish ceilidh, with a team of callers including Mairi Campbell and Steve Player, leading a range of high-energy dances from strathspeys and reels to quicksteps and country dances. The dance steps and music are taken from the often ignored wealth of 18th-century Scottish sources, brought to life through a rich tapestry of traditions and musical styles.
Not to be missed: bring your dancing shoes and join us for a wonderful night of music and dancing!
Monday 23rd January & Monday 27th March at Òran Mór
Tickets £8/£6 available from TicketWeb
Filed under: Aye Write! Glasgow's Book Festival 2014, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- ‘Here Comes The Moon’ – live stream single launch Starry Skies
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Jazz on a Summer’s Day review by Pat Byrne