Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór 23 January and 27 March, 2017
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór
Party like it’s 1799! Celebrate the roots of ceilidh dancing in tunes and dances from 18th-century Scotland.
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights reinvent the 18th-century ceilidh, bringing together early music group Concerto Caledonia with some of the leading lights in Scottish traditional music, including fiddlers Lauren MacColl, Marie Fielding and Shona Mooney, and viola player, dancer and singer Mairi Campbell.
The band performs completely acoustically, with a line-up of gut-strung fiddles, cello, and Scottish small-pipes, all in 18th-century set-up. The night takes the format of a modern Scottish ceilidh, with a team of callers including Mairi Campbell and Steve Player, leading a range of high-energy dances from strathspeys and reels to quicksteps and country dances. The dance steps and music are taken from the often ignored wealth of 18th-century Scottish sources, brought to life through a rich tapestry of traditions and musical styles.
Not to be missed: bring your dancing shoes and join us for a wonderful night of music and dancing!
Monday 23rd January & Monday 27th March at Òran Mór
Tickets £8/£6 available from TicketWeb
Filed under: Aye Write! Glasgow's Book Festival 2014, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021