Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór 23 January and 27 March, 2017
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights at Òran Mór
Party like it’s 1799! Celebrate the roots of ceilidh dancing in tunes and dances from 18th-century Scotland.
Nathaniel Gow’s Dance Band: Ceilidh Nights reinvent the 18th-century ceilidh, bringing together early music group Concerto Caledonia with some of the leading lights in Scottish traditional music, including fiddlers Lauren MacColl, Marie Fielding and Shona Mooney, and viola player, dancer and singer Mairi Campbell.
The band performs completely acoustically, with a line-up of gut-strung fiddles, cello, and Scottish small-pipes, all in 18th-century set-up. The night takes the format of a modern Scottish ceilidh, with a team of callers including Mairi Campbell and Steve Player, leading a range of high-energy dances from strathspeys and reels to quicksteps and country dances. The dance steps and music are taken from the often ignored wealth of 18th-century Scottish sources, brought to life through a rich tapestry of traditions and musical styles.
Not to be missed: bring your dancing shoes and join us for a wonderful night of music and dancing!
Monday 23rd January & Monday 27th March at Òran Mór
Tickets £8/£6 available from TicketWeb
Filed under: Aye Write! Glasgow's Book Festival 2014, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Hairspray, Beatson Gin and Sing
- Glasgow South Side Wellbeing Fair
- Vinicombe Street Party 2022
- Modren Makars Launch Event
- Active Travel for Whiteinch & Scotstoun
- Mansfield Park Street Festival
- Glasgow Mela 2022
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell and Nataliya Deleva
- Glasgow West End – Summer Events 2022
- Alma Wolfson – ‘A Painter’s Passion’
- Outi and Nico at Tchai Ovna
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Grease The Musical at Websters Theatre Glasgow West End
- Bend It Like Bertie at Websters
- Wake Up Punk at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cabaret – 50th Anniversary at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wild Men at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Creative Conversations: Michael Pederson