Music from the time and place of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Queens Cross Church 3 December, 2017
As we approach the 150th anniversary of the birth of one of Glasgow’s greatest creative minds, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, join the Toward Ensemble, under the baton of Paul MacAlindin, in Mackintosh’s wonderful Queen’s Cross Church in a celebration of the music of the time and place of the great architect.
The programme will include works by Mackintosh’s contemporaries Elgar, Nielsen and Grieg and Glasgow’s 21st century composers Rory Boyle, Eddie McGuire, Oliver Searle and Bill Sweeney.
Crowning the afternoon is the posthumous world premiere of John Maxwell Geddes’ “A Rose for Margaret” with a solo by his grandson, Ruaridh Geddes, on his eighteenth birthday playing a violin which has passed through five generations of the Geddes family.
The Toward Ensemble is a string orchestra founded by John Maxwell Geddes over twenty years ago. It is a blend of professional and amateur players who have a shared love of music and Castle Toward, once home to youth orchestras from across Scotland. This will be the first time the Ensemble will perform outside Castle Toward’s hallowed walls.
There will be seasonal refreshments and the opportunity to visit the shop to pick up unique gifts for Christmas.
All tickets are £10 and you can book your ticket at Eventbrite
Mackintosh Queens Cross Church, 870 Garscube Road, Maryhll, Glasgow G20 7EL
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Wasps Winter Artists and Makers Market 2019
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Christmas Arrives at The Ivy Buchanan Street Glasgow
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Hogmanay at Cottiers 2019
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Christmas Extravaganza 2019 Salvation Army Partick
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019