Music from the time and place of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Queens Cross Church 3 December, 2017
As we approach the 150th anniversary of the birth of one of Glasgow’s greatest creative minds, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, join the Toward Ensemble, under the baton of Paul MacAlindin, in Mackintosh’s wonderful Queen’s Cross Church in a celebration of the music of the time and place of the great architect.
The programme will include works by Mackintosh’s contemporaries Elgar, Nielsen and Grieg and Glasgow’s 21st century composers Rory Boyle, Eddie McGuire, Oliver Searle and Bill Sweeney.
Crowning the afternoon is the posthumous world premiere of John Maxwell Geddes’ “A Rose for Margaret” with a solo by his grandson, Ruaridh Geddes, on his eighteenth birthday playing a violin which has passed through five generations of the Geddes family.
The Toward Ensemble is a string orchestra founded by John Maxwell Geddes over twenty years ago. It is a blend of professional and amateur players who have a shared love of music and Castle Toward, once home to youth orchestras from across Scotland. This will be the first time the Ensemble will perform outside Castle Toward’s hallowed walls.
There will be seasonal refreshments and the opportunity to visit the shop to pick up unique gifts for Christmas.
All tickets are £10 and you can book your ticket at Eventbrite
Mackintosh Queens Cross Church, 870 Garscube Road, Maryhll, Glasgow G20 7EL
- Cancer Support Scotland Christmas Fayre 2019
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- Mòd 2019 CCA
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Mòd 2019: Gaelic Conversation Café Public CCA
- Black History Month Street Level Photography Temporary Hoarding Magazine and Anti-Racist Graphics
- CINE[STHESIA]: Filmichean Gàidhlig/ Gaelic Films Ghlaschu Mod 2019
- Art For Heart’s Sake, Art Fundraiser at The Store 2019
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2019 Announces Full Programme
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- Torchlight Parade St Andrew’s Day, WEF
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow