Movie Memories Programme, Glasgow Film Theatre, Launch October, 2017
Movie Memories programme
The Movie Memories programme will launch with a special screening of the 1949 Ealing classic Whisky Galore! at GFT on Thursday 19 October in partnership with Luminate, Scotland’s creative ageing festival.
In September 2016, Glasgow Film Theatre, in partnership with the Dundasvale Community Involvement Group, held a Movie Memories Event at Dundasvale Residents Hall. With a focus on accessibility and bringing people together, a pop-up screening of the Gene Kelly classic was held, complete with a movie memories handling kit, kindly loaned from Glasgow Museums.
Following on from the success of this event, GFT is delighted to announce the award of funding from Life Changes Trust to launch a monthly dementia friendly cinema programme, Movie Memories. The programme is designed especially for people experiencing early to mid stages of dementia, their carers and / or families.
Many people with a diagnosis of dementia fear that they will no longer be socially welcome, and stop taking part in activities they enjoy. The Movie Memories programme looks to address this with inclusive and friendly screenings, dementia friendly venue and dementia aware staff and volunteers. People living with dementia will also play a central role in how the project develops. Movie Memories will present classic and contemporary film screenings alongside a programme of multi-arts entertainment based at GFT, with events planned for select other venues.
The programme aims to reach over 1,700 people living with dementia, as well as their carers and families, so that they can do something together and create meaningful memories.
A steering group will be established to guide the programme and Dementia Ambassadors will play an important role in delivering the project.
About Life Changes Trust
The Life Changes Trust was established by the Big Lottery Fund in April 2013 with a National Lottery grant of £50 million to support transformational improvement in the quality of life, well-being, empowerment and inclusion of two key groups in Scotland: people affected by dementia and care experienced young people
- Christmas Play in a Day, for kids Hillhead Library
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life GFT
- Take 2: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, GFT
- The Bolshoi Ballet Encore: The Nutcracker GFT
- Her Smell, GFT
- The Kingmaker, GFT
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks