Mandy McIntosh, Hap Up Easterhouse, 8 – 25 April, 2016. Platform, The Bridge
08 Apr 2016 – 25 Apr 2016
For this year’s Glasgow International Festival of Contemporary Art, Platform has commissioned Mandy McIntosh as artist-in-residence.
In the lead up to her exhibition, Mandy has been collaborating with students of Glasgow Kelvin College. They have worked with McIntosh, experimenting with fashion textiles and creating designs for prints. Mandy has instigated the conversation and the students have responded creatively. The designs are then incorporated into contemporary artworks that will not just be displayed in an exhibition setting but can be worn by the students themselves.
The process has led the artist to evolve her theme for the exhibition. Hap Up Easterhouse will be a celebration of self-furnishing but not in a nostalgic sense. The pieces will be current – of the here and now. Additional verbal inspiration has come from the Easterhouse area with its diverse totems and vivid visual identities and branding.
Also in use during the residency and on display during the exhibition is Mandy’s personal library of craft related books spanning 35 years.
The exhibition features adjunct events including a fashion show at Platform’s Outskirts Festival taking place on 23rd April.
Mandy McIntosh was born in Glasgow where she continues to live and work. She studied fashion knitwear at Trent Polytechnic and worked as a studio designer at KENZO in Paris in the early 1990s. She went on to complete a Master’s in Design at the Glasgow School of Art. Mandy works across disciplines in digital film-making, socially engaged art, fine art textiles and other forms. Recent works include a 3-D animation for Random Acts on Channel Four and a public art response to Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park (both 2013).She was also artist in residence at Glasgow Women’s Library 2014 – 2015.
Supported by Glasgow International, Glasgow City Council and Glasgow Life.
At The Platform
Mon – Fri, 9am – 8pm
Sat – Sun, 10am – 5pm
Platform, The Bridge
1000 Westerhouse Road
Glasgow, G34 9JW
0141 276 9696 (option 1)
- Addicted The Musical Websters Theatre Glasgow
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Sikorski Polish Club, Glasgow Doors Open Day 2019
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA