Kaleidoscope Realms, Matchbox Cine Club
14 September, 2019 7 – 8.30 p.m.
Kaleidoscopic Realms: Japanese experimental shorts of the ’70s & ’80s
A programme of short films by directors Naoto Yamakawa, Nobuhiro Aihara and Toshio Matsumoto.
The films, spanning from 1975 up until the mid ‘80s, range from abstract experimentalism to more recognisable narrative structures, but all distort and challenge expectations of aesthetics, storytelling and recognition of oneself on film.
Short films often offer a fleeting insight into perspectives outwith our own experiences, but this collection of shorts presents unexpected images, sounds and ideas which linger with you, utilising experimental techniques to convey connections across cultures.
Tickets are priced on a sliding scale, based on your circumstances. There are three tiers: Free/£2, £4/£6 and £8. (register for a free ticket via firstname.lastname@example.org). Guide on what to pay.
With thanks to The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation and the Postwar Japan Moving Image Archive.
NB This screening will be captioned in English for deaf and hard of hearing audiences.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Christmas at Glasgow Film Theatre 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub + Backseat Bingo Dial Code: Santa Claus + Secret Santa Party
- UKJF Why the Jews? + Starboy CCA
- Southern Exposure Utu CCA
- So Long, My Son GFT
- Knives Out GFT
- Honey Boy GFT
- The Forgotten Screening and Q & A
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Take 2: Miniscule Adventure GFT
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- The Biggest Little Farm GFT
- In Diamond Square GFT
- Shooting the Mafia, GFT
- Moving Image Makers Collective On The Move CCA
- Pity Party Film Club Urgh! A Music War CCA
- Sunshine on Leith GFT
- CinemaAttic – Catalan Film Festival CCA
- The Two Popes GFT
- Judy and Punch, GFT