‘Ireland 2016’ The Chieftains and Special Guests Celtic Connections Friday 15 January, 2016
‘Ireland 2016’ – The Chieftains & Special Guests
15 January 2016 7:30PM
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
As reflected by a year-long international programme of centenary events, Ireland’s 1916 Easter Rising, the bloodily heroic precursor to eventual independence, remains a seminally important episode in the country’s history. Together with the political struggle – as Irish Senator Labhrás Ó Murchú, director-general of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, recently observed – “Our cultural identity was central to the aspirations and motivation of 1916”, as embodied by the presence of several poets among the rebels, and the simultaneous artistic ferment, encompassing song, literature, theatre and journalism, which fuelled the nationalist cause.
Irish culture has increasingly flourished over the ensuing century, more than half of which has seen your legendary hosts for this evening, The Chieftains, at the forefront of this worldwide success. Among their array of very special guests are former Dubliners fiddler John Sheahan and top contemporary balladeer Declan O’Rourke, as well as the legendary Kris Kristofferson.
Supported by Culture Ireland as part of the International Culture Programme to celebrate Ireland 2016.
Buy tickets online
Or buy tickets from box office on 0141 353 8000
Under 14s should be accompanied by an adult
This venue has seating only.
This venue has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities.
Filed under: Celtic Connections 2016, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- The Homebird Sessions at Cottiers
- A Night of Grief and Misery, Cottiers
- Loch Lomond Highland Games 2022
- Alice In The Cities – GFT
- I’ve Heard the Mermaids Singing – GFT
- Nitram at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tigers at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Take 2. Paddington at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Ithaka plus Q & A with John Shipton, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Purple Rain, late night at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Princess, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- Alasdair Gray’s Lanark: A World Made on Paper – The Hunterian
- Journey from Jamaica iBrina – Merchant City Festival
- No Evictions Glasgow Open Meeting
- Restricted Code, The Glad Cafe
- Chris McGlade: Forgiveness- Websters Theatre
- Pippin The Musical at Websters
- Luzzu at GFT
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT