‘Ireland 2016’ The Chieftains and Special Guests Celtic Connections Friday 15 January, 2016
‘Ireland 2016’ – The Chieftains & Special Guests
15 January 2016 7:30PM
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
As reflected by a year-long international programme of centenary events, Ireland’s 1916 Easter Rising, the bloodily heroic precursor to eventual independence, remains a seminally important episode in the country’s history. Together with the political struggle – as Irish Senator Labhrás Ó Murchú, director-general of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, recently observed – “Our cultural identity was central to the aspirations and motivation of 1916”, as embodied by the presence of several poets among the rebels, and the simultaneous artistic ferment, encompassing song, literature, theatre and journalism, which fuelled the nationalist cause.
Irish culture has increasingly flourished over the ensuing century, more than half of which has seen your legendary hosts for this evening, The Chieftains, at the forefront of this worldwide success. Among their array of very special guests are former Dubliners fiddler John Sheahan and top contemporary balladeer Declan O’Rourke, as well as the legendary Kris Kristofferson.
Supported by Culture Ireland as part of the International Culture Programme to celebrate Ireland 2016.
Buy tickets online
Or buy tickets from box office on 0141 353 8000
Under 14s should be accompanied by an adult
This venue has seating only.
This venue has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities.
Filed under: Celtic Connections 2016, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide plus Club Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020