Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
Photographs From Early 1980s – With Some History
Finnieston Corruna St and St Vincent Crescent
Now the hippest place in the UK according to some London papers but back them it was only beginning to recover from its lowest ebb as a multi-occupancy slum with a fair population of ladies of the night, criminals and others around.
St Andrews by the Green
The first Episcopal church in Glasgow built after the Reformation, now restored as GOMA offices. The mason who built it was excommunicated by the Glasgow Presbytery and it was knows as the Whistlin Kirk, as it was the first in Glasgow with an organ. (Kist o Whistles= Old Scots for an organ)
The Ore Terminal
We awoke one morning to a loud bang as these were demolished and later dismantled. That was where the iron ore for Ravenscraig steel works had come in till then.
The area is now covered with flats, cinemas, restaurants.
The Pump House
Queen’s Dock, now the Clydeside Distillery. Offices and also the original location of the steam pump which raised and lowered the bridges at the docks.
The architect was John Carrick, the City Engineer, to an Italianate design.
- Analysing socio-political themes of protest cinema in Carla’s song by Ken Loach
- TRNSMT Festival, Pre-party
- Merchant City Festival 2022
- Helen Rose’s Ourdoor Diary: English Lakes, Coniston
- Summer of Stories at The Hunterian
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- Alasdair Gray’s Lanark: A World Made on Paper – The Hunterian
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT
- Goldilocks Goes to Greece, Summer Panto OranMor
- Acting Up – Drama Workshops for Children and Young People
- ‘Workaround’ – Charlie Hammond at The Hunterian
- Roy’s West End View: History is bunk …and it ends just outside London
- Artist Aid Ukraine – The Pentagon, Glasgow
- Our Past and Present Beautiful Lives: part of Refugee Week
- Eusebi Afternoon Tea – Charity Fundraiser
- Make Music Day 2022
- Glasgow Mela 2022
- Dandelion Festival Kelvingrove Park
- Exhibition: Origin of WA – Before the Mask
- Remembering and Celebrating Esther Brown