Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
Photographs From Early 1980s – With Some History
Finnieston Corruna St and St Vincent Crescent
Now the hippest place in the UK according to some London papers but back them it was only beginning to recover from its lowest ebb as a multi-occupancy slum with a fair population of ladies of the night, criminals and others around.
St Andrews by the Green
The first Episcopal church in Glasgow built after the Reformation, now restored as GOMA offices. The mason who built it was excommunicated by the Glasgow Presbytery and it was knows as the Whistlin Kirk, as it was the first in Glasgow with an organ. (Kist o Whistles= Old Scots for an organ)
The Ore Terminal
We awoke one morning to a loud bang as these were demolished and later dismantled. That was where the iron ore for Ravenscraig steel works had come in till then.
The area is now covered with flats, cinemas, restaurants.
The Pump House
Queen’s Dock, now the Clydeside Distillery. Offices and also the original location of the steam pump which raised and lowered the bridges at the docks.
The architect was John Carrick, the City Engineer, to an Italianate design.
- Glasgow Film Festival Announces 2022 Programme
- The Sea of Paperwork Exhibition – Maryhill Integration Network
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Roy’s West End View: Battered Boris savaged by top Scots true blues
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Wullie Davidson’s Blog: Extreme Global Weather Events of 2021
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- G20 Young People to Climb Ben Nevis to support people affected by poverty
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- Is this ‘Black Bitch’ name ban really justified?
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Mother India – Christmas Menu 2021 Set Menus
- Dante and Alasdair Gray Symposium
- George Wylie Centenary Exhibition
- Glasgow Film Theatre December Programme 2021